UK 7 on 7 Passing Tournament

Ram

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two best teams were Elk Horn and South Laurel. They were head and shoulders above all the other teams. I know the UK coaching staff loved both teams speed, hands and QB's. South Laurel's Defensive speed killed the other teams...the allowed the least amount of points by any team in the tournament. Their Offense was high high octane... I heard the scored over 33 plus points in all but one game. I heard...the only practice for 2 hours the day before the tournament. Their QB had not threw the football since last season...had only 4 INT's all deflections. They said he's been playing AAU basketball and had been at a camp over the last 4 days before the tournament . One of their best starting receiver had been hurt for like 2 MOS..he just got back a week before and one had not played in over 3 years. Their other receivers had been playing baseball and basketball all spring. " That crazy High Octane Offense" How good could South Laurel, had been if the had working out and practicing football?

Elk Horn, had a high octane offense....speed as well!!! Their QB was very good as well! He could look you off and get it to his open receivers in a heart beat. Their receivers had great speed the fastest over all...in the tournament. They had a very high octane offense with the short passes under neath.

I think both teams went undefeated in regular season this past year. The split their two games in the tournament. Elk Horn, winning in pool play and South Laurel winning in tournament play.

A Elk Horn and South Laurel Middle School, football game last year could of drew a crowd to watch that show!! You...talkin about a shoot out :flame:

that would of been a game for the OK corral. The team that scored last...would have won!

All the teams did great and their players played great...but I loved these two teams. They were flat out gunning teams and fun to watch.

Edited by black 10

Hey-I'm a South Laurel fan, but just looking at all the teams objectively-I snd many more in attendance are in agreement on the Whitley kid-he stood out that day. Hopefully I will get to watch South play Whitley this year. I was told it would be at South-apparently those two teams didn't play each other last year. I had heard that Whitley went 10-0 last season and that South only lost two games last year-so it should be a good game.

If your a South, fan you would know...South went 12-0 last year beating Meece, Corbin, Knox Central and Clay County, and a very good Perry Central 8/7 grade team. South had never beat Clay, Corbin and Meece in the same year. They beat Meece and Clay twice including play offs.

The team from duPont Manual High School came away from the U of K passing tournament as Champs. After a going 2-1 in the pool play, they were a 15 seed (out of 16 team) and played Henry Clay in the first game of the Championship Bracket. The Rams beat Henry Clay and advanced to play the #1 seeded Shelby County Rockets. Manual beat Shelby County to advance and play Lexington Catholic in the semi final game then finally beating a team from South Carolina for the title.

This Tournament was probably the best I have ever participated in. The UK coaches all "oversaw" game timing and 4 second counts, very organized and consistent. The teams were very impressive and competition strong.

Was there as well. Saw alot of nice looking teams. Impressed with the South Laurel Kids. It was a nice experience to see some of the kids from out in the State - giving it their all. From all different classes.

Altho - in all honesty - these type of competitions make it very hard to gauge - IMHO. When the qb's don't have hard charging D lineman breathing down their necks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Was troubled by one thing. Louisville - Shawnee was there. I know they are trying very hard to build their program back up. They have had their share of adversity. Saw them in an early game -they looked pretty good. Seemed to have some atheletes - and appeared to be "into it." They had a final consolation game -which they failed to appear for. Understand the same thing might have happened the week before at Male's 7 on 7. Do not know if they were hurt, worn out or what the reason - but was curious why they would not seize that opportunity to play another 'game'?

Congrats to Manual.