Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity 5 Seneca 1

Featured Replies

Stephan pitches another good game. Trinity had some good hits (Berry, Deeds, Bowling, Epperson, Hartlage and o'Shagnessy) and solid defense. Errors are reducing for the Rocks, and if they continue to hit and play error free ball, should be exciting to watch in the next game and regionals. Look out Ballard, meet the Rock.........

It's too bad that Seneca's long-time coach had to go out with a comment like this: "I'm done," he said. "I've had a pretty good run over the years, but I'm tired. The kids have changed, the parents have changed, and the playing field isn't level." (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080521/SPORTS05/805210947/1031) From the looks of the article it sounds like Seneca had their chances and just couldn't get it done. Congrats to T's pitcher for talking positively about the opposing team when it seems as though Seneca's coach can't even say positive things about his own team, let alone the opposing one.

It’s interesting that the quote from John Doggendorf, the retiring Seneca coach, is mentioned in the Courier-Journal about the game. Although I do not know him and have never met the man, I thank him for his 30 years of service to high school baseball. I, too, respect Trinity’s Stephan’s comments that were quoted that showed respect and honor his opponent. Those comments speak highly for this young man.

 

The quote caught my eye as well. I do wonder, could the reporter and Doggendorf talked for 5, 10, or 15 minutes and this was the one quote, out of context, that the reporter chose? Too, could the quote have been taken at an untimely moment? How many coaches and players at the college and professional level have a microphone shoved in their face at a difficult moment? A coach has to be a good public relations person, no doubt. Boy, a lot is asked of high school coaches for the amount of money they make.

 

I do wish that Doggendorf would have been quoted in words like “I want to first thank Seneca High School for the opportunity to be part of 30 years of coaching high school baseball. I want to thank all of the kids that I have had the opportunity to coach. I want to thank my wife (?) who has been so patient with the long and demanding hours of my job. I wish Trinity the very best in the regional tournament, etc….” I guess it’s a learning lesson for coaches and us as well. How many times has Doggendorf been interviewed as far as the experience he might have?

 

But what about the comments? I would like input as to how players and parents have changed in the last 30 years. What about the level playing field? Besides the public vs. private debate, what about schools like PRP that have worked hard over time with a dedicated coach and fan base in a baseball serious part of town? What about Ballard high school's new indoor faciltiy? But also what about the cost of pitching and hitting lessons, travel ball, college camps and showcases? Any comments?

I was a little worried about this game, not knowing whether Seneca had a pitcher like Andy Clark from a few years ago.

I wonder about Coach Dog's comments as well. Is he referring to the unlevel playing field against private schools or against other public schools? When was the last time a Louisville private school won state? I believe St. X in 1981. Not many other private schools around the state have one many titles in the last 30 years as well.

I was a little worried about this game, not knowing whether Seneca had a pitcher like Andy Clark from a few years ago.

 

Maybe Coach Doggendorf was referring to Waggener's playing surface:thumb:

 

Bob White was the reporter and he's been doing this so long I doubt if he got the quote wrong.

 

One of his coaches is a Trinity alumnus who decided to send his kids to Seneca and they played for Coach D and enjoyed their careers. His pitcher played at Germantown Little League. Many Shamrock supporters were concerned about facing this guy a second time. I'd say the Redhawks roster had kids from all over the county.

 

This was by no means an easy win for Trinity. Thursday's final vs Ballard should be a good one.

In today's paper, the article about the game talks about "today's 5p.m. final against Ballard" but by the scores the game is listed for Thursday. Is the Trinity Ballard game today or tomorrow?

  • Author
In today's paper, the article about the game talks about "today's 5p.m. final against Ballard" but by the scores the game is listed for Thursday. Is the Trinity Ballard game today or tomorrow?

 

Tomorrow is the game at 5 p.m vs Ballard. Seneca has some very talented kids. I would say if you matched player to player from both squads, Seneca was the most talented. The difference was the pitching.

Dogg has has a lot of problems in house that many of you were probably werent aware of. He's had letters sent to the board from parents that wanted him fired because he was yelling at the kids to much. About the level playing field I think he's upset with the district alignment where it sent Ballard into his district because Sexton, at Eastern didn't want to play Ballard every year in the district tournament. But we all know Atherton is closer to Seneca then Ballard is, which doens't seem fair. With the fact of recruiting, private schools and the public schools with the money getting better facilities to attract kids how can you say the playing field is level. Look in the past 10 years it's the same 4 or 5 teams competing for the 7th region and when Seneca had a shot to win in 2004 they had to load up for that one year and go a pretty nice draw with playin Jtown, Eastern that only had 1 pitcher in Slovak then they played Trinity and we all know that outcome. There's no way the field can ever be level so I see were Dogg is coming from that. Sorry you Trinity/X fans that think the field is level those lower public schools don't reload every year they have to rebuild for 1 good season every 5 years.

Dogg has has a lot of problems in house that many of you were probably werent aware of. He's had letters sent to the board from parents that wanted him fired because he was yelling at the kids to much. About the level playing field I think he's upset with the district alignment where it sent Ballard into his district because Sexton, at Eastern didn't want to play Ballard every year in the district tournament. But we all know Atherton is closer to Seneca then Ballard is, which doens't seem fair. With the fact of recruiting, private schools and the public schools with the money getting better facilities to attract kids how can you say the playing field is level. Look in the past 10 years it's the same 4 or 5 teams competing for the 7th region and when Seneca had a shot to win in 2004 they had to load up for that one year and go a pretty nice draw with playin Jtown, Eastern that only had 1 pitcher in Slovak then they played Trinity and we all know that outcome. There's no way the field can ever be level so I see were Dogg is coming from that. Sorry you Trinity/X fans that think the field is level those lower public schools don't reload every year they have to rebuild for 1 good season every 5 years.

 

It is tough to coach for the public schools. I have liked Coach Dogg but I thought the timing of the comments were off. Do I disagree with them? No I think parents have changed and kids have changed? So do you continue to use the same methods? I thought the team this year was as talented of team as he has had over there for 6 years-but in a public school with limited talented players you have to tolerate kids missing practice and thrown helmets and gloves. I think that it probably ate him up inside but the situation was that he needed the talented kids to play to compete. Male can afford to throw XXXXXX off the team. The program has replacements.

Now a new coach can come in and set new rules and make the necessary program improvements. I thank Coach Dogg for his many years of service to high baseball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.