Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pikeville OFFICIALLY hires new coach

Featured Replies

Copely got it!! Good luck to the Panthers.

There's nobody there that loves the kids more and nobody the kids wanted more. Congrats Mike I'm proud of you! I hope the folks there gather the troups and support him from the start!

Copley will do a great job. Congrats to a great young coach and friend.

Congrats to him. As a thought though I'm not sure how important it is to hire the coach the kids want.

Congrats to him. As a thought though I'm not sure how important it is to hire the coach the kids want.

 

I understand where you are coming from but I also think it's a good thing that the kids are excited about working for him and believe in him. That's where it all starts. To many times folks hang onto glory years and lose touch with the athletes coaches deal with now days compared to 20 years ago when Pikeville won it all. It's important to be able to relate to the kids these days and have the ability to get them to buy in. Back in the day you could brow beat them and that was how it was because that's how kids were raised. Times have changed and if you don't change with the times then you are going to get passed up IMO.

Played with Mike in high school, great guy and will be a great head coach. Good Luck Copley.

Good luck to the Panthers.

Good luck to Coach. I am sure they got a good one and I am not in anyway second guessing the hire. But what actually happened. I was told by someone that Hensley was offered and was going to take the job. Was this false or did Hensley just turn it down. From the outside looking in something wasn't right with this entire process.

 

Good Hire Panthers and now you can get to work.:thumb:

I understand where you are coming from but I also think it's a good thing that the kids are excited about working for him and believe in him. That's where it all starts. To many times folks hang onto glory years and lose touch with the athletes coaches deal with now days compared to 20 years ago when Pikeville won it all. It's important to be able to relate to the kids these days and have the ability to get them to buy in. Back in the day you could brow beat them and that was how it was because that's how kids were raised. Times have changed and if you don't change with the times then you are going to get passed up IMO.

 

I agree with the jest of your post. Coaches must be able to relate to the kids. Coaches do need to change with the times as far as the game goes. Kids are kids same today as they were 20 years ago. What has changed is the concept of family, which in turn has created a different beast. Kids today need more then ever the strong Coach ( brow beater) that makes them walk the line. Single parent homes, grandparent or aunt or uncle, older sibling or simply no adult figure at all. The family of today is what will lead to the down fall of this very great nation. Those strong arm coaches discipline used to be all that SOME kids got. Today it is getting to the point that it is ALL the direction MOST OF THEM ARE GETTING. Nothing wrong with being hard on them. We are just to soft in the world today and in more than sports.

I agree with the jest of your post. Coaches must be able to relate to the kids. Coaches do need to change with the times as far as the game goes. Kids are kids same today as they were 20 years ago. What has changed is the concept of family, which in turn has created a different beast. Kids today need more then ever the strong Coach ( brow beater) that makes them walk the line. Single parent homes, grandparent or aunt or uncle, older sibling or simply no adult figure at all. The family of today is what will lead to the down fall of this very great nation. Those strong arm coaches discipline used to be all that SOME kids got. Today it is getting to the point that it is ALL the direction MOST OF THEM ARE GETTING. Nothing wrong with being hard on them. We are just to soft in the world today and in more than sports.

 

I agree with the majority of what you are saying but all too many times these days I have seen kids not play or quit because they can't handle being disciplined. It takes a coach that gets kids to "buy in" and trust him before he earns the respect to discipline a lot of kids. That was the point I was making with Copley getting the job. It sounds pretty obvious that the kids have already bought into him so he is a step up on the job IMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.