Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Comments about the block/charge

Featured Replies

Now, let me say straight up that I do not want this to turn into a giant "I know it better than you" debate.

 

I read a few comments about a game yesterday and felt that a little insight was necessary from an old stripes perspective. Now with regard to a block charge: I thought about this for a while and decided this; the reason fans think the stripes get every (well not every but alot) of these calls wrong is that they are watching the ball, not the defenders.

 

When I went to camps (oh that seems a long time ago), the people that were there instructing us (you see/saw many of them on TV every night) always told us to watch the defender, not the dribbler. Watching the dribbler will result in most (not all) of the "block/charge" situations to be called blocks. If one cannot see the defender, one cannot make an accurate call.

 

The defender is allowed to move to "maintain his/her defensive position". If the defender beats the dribbler to the spot (that is his/her feet are down), there still can be movement in the upper torso area of the defender. Also remember this; the offensive player still has to be "under control" and not using his/her forearm to clear out.

 

So, remember; officials that have the proper perspective (ie he/she has attended a quality camp), most likely the officials are getting the call right 95% of the time. But you have no idea who those people are? I'll give you a hint; if officials are calling the majority of the contact by the dribbler/defensive players "player control" fouls; chances are they are one of the better ones.

 

Now that does not apply to all situations (there are teams out there that just don't have the speed to "get to the spot" and you might see alot of blocks called), but for the majority (oh who am I kidding 90%) of the "good" officials, they get the calls right. Just trust them!

 

:flame:

I think the very nature of the block/charge issue is going to result in disagreements.

 

I am curious to know of the various associations have been given directives on which way to default on a bang/bang play.

What is your opinion on this scenario?

 

The offensive player is dribbling to the basket to make a lay-up. The offensive player is under control just going to make a regular run of the mill lay-up. The defensive player tries to take the charge may or may not be set. Both players hit the floor hard. Could be a charge, could be a block. No call from the official. No block. No player control foul, just no whistle.

What is the reasoning behind this?

 

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this this year I'd probably have about ten or eleven dollars.

 

Talking to one official after one of the games I saw this occur the explanation was that the offensive player jumped into the defensive player. Doesn't make sense to me but then again I'm not a straight A student by any means

I hate the charge call directly under the basket, I dont think it's fair. I am for a "halo" around the goal like in the NBA.....

What is your opinion on this scenario?

 

The offensive player is dribbling to the basket to make a lay-up. The offensive player is under control just going to make a regular run of the mill lay-up. The defensive player tries to take the charge may or may not be set. Both players hit the floor hard. Could be a charge, could be a block. No call from the official. No block. No player control foul, just no whistle.

What is the reasoning behind this?

 

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this this year I'd probably have about ten or eleven dollars.

 

Talking to one official after one of the games I saw this occur the explanation was that the offensive player jumped into the defensive player. Doesn't make sense to me but then again I'm not a straight A student by any means

 

It doesn't really fit your scenario, but isn't it supposed to be a technical if the defender fakes a charge? For example, the same situation as this however the offensive player doesn't go down and they do not feel that there was enough contact to warrant a foul, is this not faking the charge?

 

I think it is all the officials point of view. If they feel the player was set they call a charge, if not its a block. No matter what the call or foul is there will be fans who disagree, so they just call what they feel was the right call.

What is your opinion on this scenario?

 

The offensive player is dribbling to the basket to make a lay-up. The offensive player is under control just going to make a regular run of the mill lay-up. The defensive player tries to take the charge may or may not be set. Both players hit the floor hard. Could be a charge, could be a block. No call from the official. No block. No player control foul, just no whistle.

What is the reasoning behind this?

 

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this this year I'd probably have about ten or eleven dollars.

 

Talking to one official after one of the games I saw this occur the explanation was that the offensive player jumped into the defensive player. Doesn't make sense to me but then again I'm not a straight A student by any means

 

Remember that not all contact is a foul. If neither gained an advantage (hard to tell without seeing your play) then you let it go.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.