Trimble County 40 Owen County 6

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trimble looked good in the 2nd half of this game. In the first half Owen made 3 defensive goal line stands.........you can call that good defense or lack of offensive execution. Reguardless the score at half time was 6-0 in favor of Trimble. They (Trimble) didn't seem to have the offensive explosion till about midway through the 3rd quarter. By that time it seemed as if Owen had dead legs and were very very tired defensively from being on the field most of the game to that point. Hats off to Trimble. Good win for them and it was also good to see the Bird kid out there for senior day. Best of luck to him too in his very promising football career.

Trimble looked good in the 2nd half of this game. In the first half Owen made 3 defensive goal line stands.........you can call that good defense or lack of offensive execution. Reguardless the score at half time was 6-0 in favor of Trimble. They (Trimble) didn't seem to have the offensive explosion till about midway through the 3rd quarter. By that time it seemed as if Owen had dead legs and were very very tired defensively from being on the field most of the game to that point. Hats off to Trimble. Good win for them and it was also good to see the Bird kid out there for senior day. Best of luck to him too in his very promising football career.
Owen,s JV Defense played pretty good at the end of the game, against Trimble's Varsity Offense. I guess they were tired from being out there all night. Hawkes had an awesome game. He took some good shots especially from Stafford, but it didn't slow him down any.

Owen,s JV Defense played pretty good at the end of the game, against Trimble's Varsity Offense. I guess they were tired from being out there all night. Hawkes had an awesome game. He took some good shots especially from Stafford, but it didn't slow him down any.

What time did the JV defense go in? TC's varsity offense was not on the field at the end of the game.

In the first half Owen made 3 defensive goal line stands.........you can call that good defense or lack of offensive execution.

Let me throw in one more option. Those boys (most of them) had just seen David (Bird) for the first time in 15 days. Though we had been preparing them for how thin and frail he looked, it did not set in until they saw him. Those kids were tore up over it before the game (they saw him for the first time at 7:10, game started at 7:30). At the end of the game, while the JV was in, the seniors were telling me they finally realized how serious it was and that it hurt them really bad that they would never get to play with David again...how his HS career was over, but they were still playing...and that it was unfair to David. As kids, it is hard to then immediately switch gears into game mode, having a few minutes earlier been concentrating on something much more important.

Of course, we might still call it lack of offensive execution...this might just give an explanation for the difference between the early game and the late game.

What happened to all those great DB from Owen? 304 yards passing for Trimble? Trimble is a running team. Well they were when they had there all-state running back.

Hawkes "took" some goods shots, maybe you should rephrase that to say Hawkes GAVE some good shots.

I can't say enough about the job that Johnny Poynter has done at Trimble County!! Didn't they have a 30 game losing streak before he took over that program?? Now they lose a great player in Bird and they turn around and throw for 300 Yards in a game and win going away!! Congrats to Trimble and Coach Poynter for overcoming several obstacles and setting new standards in the Football Program!

I can't say enough about the job that Johnny Poynter has done at Trimble County!! Didn't they have a 30 game losing streak before he took over that program?? Now they lose a great player in Bird and they turn around and throw for 300 Yards in a game and win going away!! Congrats to Trimble and Coach Poynter for overcoming several obstacles and setting new standards in the Football Program!

I completely agree. Coach Poynter has been instrumental in getting Trimble football in winning form. He has had A LOT of obstacles to overcome, but he focuses on winning and doing what is right for the kids.

What happened to all those great DB from Owen? 304 yards passing for Trimble? Trimble is a running team. Well they were when they had there all-state running back.

Hawkes "took" some goods shots, maybe you should rephrase that to say Hawkes GAVE some good shots.

Trimble ended up getting all their passing yards late in the 3rd and in the 4th quarter. At this time Owen's DB's had been on the field most of the game. Trimble did a great job of exploiting Owen's tired legs.

Let me throw in one more option. Those boys (most of them) had just seen David (Bird) for the first time in 15 days. Though we had been preparing them for how thin and frail he looked, it did not set in until they saw him. Those kids were tore up over it before the game (they saw him for the first time at 7:10, game started at 7:30). At the end of the game, while the JV was in, the seniors were telling me they finally realized how serious it was and that it hurt them really bad that they would never get to play with David again...how his HS career was over, but they were still playing...and that it was unfair to David. As kids, it is hard to then immediately switch gears into game mode, having a few minutes earlier been concentrating on something much more important.

Of course, we might still call it lack of offensive execution...this might just give an explanation for the difference between the early game and the late game.

Good point. Great point actually. It is hard for high school kids to switch gears on a dime like that. However, you must give credit where credit is due and to stop a team 3 different times within the 10 yard line or so deserves at least a little credit.

To answer your question about when Owen's JV defense went in the game, I believe they went in with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game.

Trimble ended up getting all their passing yards late in the 3rd and in the 4th quarter. At this time Owen's DB's had been on the field most of the game. Trimble did a great job of exploiting Owen's tired legs.

Tired legs? You all have more players than we do. We had the ball 4 times inside the 10 in the first half and did not get in. The 1st play of the second half went for 50 yards. All together Trimble had 533 yards that is good for the end of the 3rd and all the 4th quarter.

Good point. Great point actually. It is hard for high school kids to switch gears on a dime like that. However, you must give credit where credit is due and to stop a team 3 different times within the 10 yard line or so deserves at least a little credit.

To answer your question about when Owen's JV defense went in the game, I believe they went in with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game.

You are right, Trimble only had about 180 of their yards in the first half. The other 320+ came in the 2nd half.

Tired legs? You all have more players than we do. We had the ball 4 times inside the 10 in the first half and did not get in. The 1st play of the second half went for 50 yards. All together Trimble had 533 yards that is good for the end of the 3rd and all the 4th quarter.

Just because a team has more players doesn't mean the kids that were on the field didn't get worn out. Just like True Blue (and Gold) said, Trimble had around 180 yrds. in the first half the rest came in the second half......when Owen's defense got tired. And I thought Owen only stopped Trimble 3 times inside the 10 but if they stopped them 4 times even more reason to give them at least a little credit for buckeling down when needed.

Just because a team has more players doesn't mean the kids that were on the field didn't get worn out. Just like True Blue (and Gold) said, Trimble had around 180 yrds. in the first half the rest came in the second half......when Owen's defense got tired. And I thought Owen only stopped Trimble 3 times inside the 10 but if they stopped them 4 times even more reason to give them at least a little credit for buckeling down when needed.

Good job, Owen D. :thumb: