Prestonsburg 27 Pikeville 12

o-line

jeez o-line... You must carry a laptop in your car !!! QUICK SCORE !!! :lol:

Very hard hitting, but sloppy game for 3 quarters. There's a long history between these two teams and this has happened a few times in the series. Don't know why. Example: each team had a possession which included a 4th and > 30 yds via penalty/play for loss. :creepy:

There were a number of muddled possessions scattered between highlights listed below...

1st qtr:

- P-burg scores on initial possession after a long drive ~67 yds. XP good.

Recognition of 3 new inductees into Pikeville Sports Hall of Fame.

2nd qtr:

- Sustained drive by the Blackcats of ~60 yds. XP good.

- Pikeville gets on the board with ~45 yd pass play. XP no good.

score@ half: Prestonsburg 14 Pikeville 6

Nice ceremony honoring Pikeville's 3 time State Championship team.

3rd qtr:

- Pikeville scores with TD on return of 2nd half KO. 2 pt. try no good.

4th qtr:

- Prestonsburg scores on blocked punt and return of ~35 yds.* XP good.

- Blackcats grind out a clock-eating final drive of ~45 yds. XP no good.

* - play of the game

Final score: Prestonsburg 27 Pikeville 12

I don't have the stats, but I would guess P-burg's Alan Craynon gained around 150 yds. (mostly outside) and Seth Setser about 75 (hard inside yds). Most of Pikeville's offensive yardage came from Daniel Harmon (~100 yds.), though the TD pass reception and KO return was by Ted Honaker (I think).

Special note: P-burg QB Bobby Hughes left the game injured in the 2nd half. I'd appreciate if someone would update his status....

:bunny:

Let me start by congratulating Prestonsburg. They came out and fought hard, and simply wanted the game much more than Pikeville did. They executed when they had to, and whipped the Panthers on the line all night.

That said, Pikeville has some serious problems that need to be resolved before they will be able to beat a good football team. The biggest problem?

ATTITUDE!!

Attitude covers many facets in my opinion, and it is not just a few players, it starts with the seniors on this Pikeville team and it would appear that it has infested the whole team.

Pikeville came out tonight and looked like they would rather be playing video games or something. All night the team showed no heart, no passion, no desire, no pride, and most of all no leadership from the upperclassmen.

There are a few kids who try to be vocal and lead but due to the unbelievable selfishness on this team no one listens. After observing the sidelines for most of the game i think the best word to describe the overall team attitude is pure apathy. They just could literally care less.

As I said before, part of this blame needs to go on this class of seniors. They have more raw talent and skill than most any class to come through Pikeville, but their attitudes and behaviour have been awful since grade school. I feel like at least part of the blame has to go with the coaches as well though. It is their job to get these kids ready to play, and the last 3 weeks it doesn't appear that is happening. I know coaches can only do so much, but there is something seriously worng when a Pikeville team like this cannot get up for games against rivals like Belfry and Prestonsburg.

I don't know what needs to happen in Pikeville, but with the ability and potential this team has they should not be playing this badly.

Farva...

I thought there was plenty of sloppy play to go around tonight. Prestonsburg did not have its head in the game until the blocked punt.

After the rehearsed initial drive, the Blackcat offense looked like a young team playing its first game. It's too far into the season to see delay penalties (and time-outs to avoid same), wrong players on the field, shifting around at the line to get set, running into each other in the backfield, etc...

Though P-burg won the game, it sure wasn't because the Blackcats played well. Though this team is young, getting to PJS in not out of reach. This team, though, needs to dedicate itself to playing the game for that purpose. Far more games are won by making base plays consistantly than are won by making great plays.

:bunny:

Oh yeah...

That was one of the strangest trick plays I've seen in the 2nd qtr..

Pikeville was in punt formation...ball snapped...punter did NOT kick it, but threw the ball underhand downfield (giving the ball a punt-like trajectory). The ball bounced downfield and was finally downed.

The officialls huddled and finally called an "incomplete pass".

Everyone but the punter acted like it was a punted ball. No Pikeville end tried to field the ball and 1/2 the offensive line was running downfield !! (if Pikeville would have completed that "pass", there would have been a lot of UPSET coaches and fans on the visitor's side since there was no "illegal man downfield" call made :lol: )

Let me start by congratulating Prestonsburg. They came out and fought hard, and simply wanted the game much more than Pikeville did. They executed when they had to, and whipped the Panthers on the line all night.

That said, Pikeville has some serious problems that need to be resolved before they will be able to beat a good football team. The biggest problem?

ATTITUDE!!

Attitude covers many facets in my opinion, and it is not just a few players, it starts with the seniors on this Pikeville team and it would appear that it has infested the whole team.

Pikeville came out tonight and looked like they would rather be playing video games or something. All night the team showed no heart, no passion, no desire, no pride, and most of all no leadership from the upperclassmen.

There are a few kids who try to be vocal and lead but due to the unbelievable selfishness on this team no one listens. After observing the sidelines for most of the game i think the best word to describe the overall team attitude is pure apathy. They just could literally care less.

As I said before, part of this blame needs to go on this class of seniors. They have more raw talent and skill than most any class to come through Pikeville, but their attitudes and behaviour have been awful since grade school. I feel like at least part of the blame has to go with the coaches as well though. It is their job to get these kids ready to play, and the last 3 weeks it doesn't appear that is happening. I know coaches can only do so much, but there is something seriously worng when a Pikeville team like this cannot get up for games against rivals like Belfry and Prestonsburg.

I don't know what needs to happen in Pikeville, but with the ability and potential this team has they should not be playing this badly.

I agree. There are maybe 2 or 3 kids in that senior class that play this game for this school the way its supposed to be played. Im not going to go as far as blaming Coach J for this problem because I think this attitude problem that some of these boys have started a long time before he got here. To make a long story short. Save for a few exceptions the only thing thats going to help this team in the attitude department is.....GRADUATION. There are some underclassmen on this team that while not as athleticaly gifted, they are good players who give it all they have and play unselfishly. Win or Lose IMO those are the types of players you want representing your school at the end of the day.