Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Forfeit season?

Featured Replies

What happens if a team does not have enough players to field a team? How long do they have to make a decision on if they can play or not if it is close? Would other teams be allowed to pick up games? I guess 11 would be the minimum, but how many is not enough? I do remember seeing a team( I think Portsmouth East, Ohio) have only 17 players dressed for one game.

I don't think it's all that uncommon for some small single A schools to field under 20 players. I've heard of teams having to practice the left side of the line against the right. Still, the possibility of injury or defection would have to be a constant concern.

A few years back, in 1997, Paris had several players unavailable (either injury or suspension) and had to forfeit their spot in the playoffs. Frankfort, who had finished fifth in the district, took their place in the postseason and lost to Campbellsville.

 

I have no idea what would have happened had this took place early in the season. I'm guessing the team would have to forfeit all games and the scheduled teams would automatically pick up a win. I'm not sure if they would be allowed to schedule another team in their newly opened date.

I would think that scheduling would be a problem also, even should the KHSAA allow a team to pick up a game it would be tough to do during the season. I would guess that all games would be forfieted and the score would show 1-0 win for the winning team.

 

I think that the decision would rest with the prespective schools on how few is too few.

Breckinridge County forfeited a district game to Bowling Green last year because of low numbers and injuries....and the pending outcome of the game.

I would think that scheduling would be a problem also, even should the KHSAA allow a team to pick up a game it would be tough to do during the season. I would guess that all games would be forfieted and the score would show 1-0 win for the winning team.

 

I think that the decision would rest with the prespective schools on how few is too few.

 

What are the rules on new players joining the team during the season? I would guess if the rules permitted, schools with limited numbers are constantly recruiting their hallways to get more kids onto the field.

Breckinridge County forfeited a district game to Bowling Green last year because of low numbers and injuries....and the pending outcome of the game.

 

Wasn't that a bit different, though? I was under the impression they had enough players, they were just concerned about injuries? And of course that didn't alter the playoff situation for either squad.

What are the rules on new players joining the team during the season? I would guess if the rules permitted, schools with limited numbers are constantly recruiting their hallways to get more kids onto the field.

 

I could not find the regulation, but the player has to have at least 5 practices with the school team before being eligible. Of course, all the other eligibility rules apply. academically eligible, not being 19 before August 1, only having one year of eligibility per school grade level, ect.

What happens if a team does not have enough players to field a team? How long do they have to make a decision on if they can play or not if it is close? Would other teams be allowed to pick up games? I guess 11 would be the minimum, but how many is not enough? I do remember seeing a team( I think Portsmouth East, Ohio) have only 17 players dressed for one game.

 

I'm pretty sure you can actually continue to play a game with as little as 8 player. I think you have to start the game with 11, but the rules are: you have to have seven players on the line of scrimmage and one player not on the line to except the snap before anyone else can touch the ball.

  • Author

I would say it more than likely be decided by what the school thought they needed to compete, safety, and other issues. Be interesting to see what happens.

I'm pretty sure you can actually continue to play a game with as little as 8 player. I think you have to start the game with 11, but the rules are: you have to have seven players on the line of scrimmage and one player not on the line to except the snap before anyone else can touch the ball.

That's correct.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.