Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Oldham shooting?

Featured Replies

I was very impressed in the state tournament by the way South Oldham shoots the ball.  Their top 4 volume shooters are all over 40% on the year from 3 point range and they shoot a lot of them.  

I'm a firm believer that shooters are made and not born.  It obviously takes a lot of hard work but it also takes an attention to detail and a focus on proper form.  I've always thought that the best approach would be to start in middle school by teaching and insisting on good form but I'm not aware of that many programs who do that.  Many of them take the "great shooters are born" approach and let them figure it out on their own.  Is there anything that those of you who are familiar with Coach Simpson and his program can share?

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

I was very impressed in the state tournament by the way South Oldham shoots the ball.  Their top 4 volume shooters are all over 40% on the year from 3 point range and they shoot a lot of them.  

I'm a firm believer that shooters are made and not born.  It obviously takes a lot of hard work but it also takes an attention to detail and a focus on proper form.  I've always thought that the best approach would be to start in middle school by teaching and insisting on good form but I'm not aware of that many programs who do that.  Many of them take the "great shooters are born" approach and let them figure it out on their own.  Is there anything that those of you who are familiar with Coach Simpson and his program can share?

Thanks in advance.

Saw his post game interview and he talked about this. He said it wasn’t anything he or the staff really did. They didn’t really teach form shooting and if you noticed that all the kids had different looks to their shot. He said the kids just worked hard on shooting and got up a lot of shots for muscle memory. He said the kids went out to outdoor courts before playing in Rupp to get the feel of the more open space. 

  • Author
1 minute ago, BasketballFan24 said:

Saw his post game interview and he talked about this. He said it wasn’t anything he or the staff really did. They didn’t really teach form shooting and if you noticed that all the kids had different looks to their shot. He said the kids just worked hard on shooting and got up a lot of shots for muscle memory. He said the kids went out to outdoor courts before playing in Rupp to get the feel of the more open space. 

Thanks.  That's really interesting and not what I expected.  I did notice the different looks to their shots when they were warming up the other night but I thought their better shooters looked pretty similar.  Julian Miles has really good form IMHO.  

One thing that probably is attributable to his coaching is their shot selection.  They don't hesitate to pull the trigger but I noticed that when they do they're in good position and on balance.  Also, they make the extra pass to get a teammate a better shot.

22 hours ago, 24Rocks said:

Thanks.  That's really interesting and not what I expected.  I did notice the different looks to their shots when they were warming up the other night but I thought their better shooters looked pretty similar.  Julian Miles has really good form IMHO.  

One thing that probably is attributable to his coaching is their shot selection.  They don't hesitate to pull the trigger but I noticed that when they do they're in good position and on balance.  Also, they make the extra pass to get a teammate a better shot.

I’ve watched South a lot o over the last three seasons.

Your last sentence is most important I do believe. They make the extra pass! Many teams have certain guys that “have the green light” and will shoot contested shots. South just seems to know that if  I make this pass on this trip, I’ll get the pass on the next possession.

Takes a lot of buy in from all involved and it’s a fun way to play. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.