Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region: Week 1

Featured Replies

The 8th region is off and running.  And although I think it will be a three horse race there are definitely some schools that look like they are going to to try to get into the top tier.  The season belongs to Woodford, South, or Simon.  They are the most talented teams and have the most experience.  However, after the first week of the season Walton Verona and Spencer County might have some say in joining and making it a 5 horse race.  Only time will tell.  A lot of young inexperience teams in the region will improve throughout the season.  Football season is officially over so let's get those popcorn machines fired up and get ready for an AWESOME season in Region 8.

1.      Woodford County- they were my preseason number 1 team and there is no reason to drop them.  The Yellowjackets went 1-0 last week (I am not 100% sure.  Their schedule doesn’t look completely updated on KHSAA site).  Woodford is the most talented team in the region but talent doesn’t always win.  I am leaving them at Number 1 until someone proves they are better.  This week is a big week for the Yellowjackets as they take On Covington Catholic on Wed and they travel to Louisville to play against Male on Sunday (at St X’s gym).  Playing against Male will give the Yellowjackets an idea of how good they are and what they need to work on because Male is goooooooooooooood.

2.      Simon Kenton-  I thought about moving them up to number 1 but I just can't do it yet.  Simon had a very impressive first week which should be of no surprise to anyone .  They are a talented, veteran team who has a coach that has been there and done that for a while.  They are organized, they play hard and they play together.  They went 2-0 in the first week of the season beating two really good teams.  Connor is always a force in the 9th region.  On Friday night, they beat South Oldham by 12 but I heard it was much closer of a game than that.  Those two teams could meet again in March. This week Simon Kenton has another tough week.  They play Cooper on Tuesday and North Oldham on Friday.  The match-up with the Mustangs will be an interesting one.

3.      South Oldham- although they loss to Simon Kenton I am still keeping the Dragons in the top tier and in the 3 spot.  They are a veteran team that knows how to win.  They are a typical Steve Simpson team that shoots a TON of threes every game.  Against Simon one of the best shooters had an off night.  So sometimes you live and die by the 3.  South Oldham will definitely have a chance to cut down the nets in March. This Week- another challenging week for the Dragons with Collins away on Tuesday and Walton home on Thursday.  Saturday they will travel to Henry to play in an Underarmour Classic vs Cooper

4.      Walton Verona-  moved up 3 spots from my preseason poll mainly because of a huge road win at North Oldham.  The Bearcats went into a gym that has 25 plus wins the last two season and took down the Mustangs.  Aaron Gutman is the real deal and is got his eyes on helping his team make it as far as they can this year along with winning Region player of the year.   This week the Bearcats have the biggest week of any team in the region.  They have 3 region opponents match up.  They host Gallatin on Tuesday night but traveling to Crestwood to take on the South Oldham Dragons on Thursday.  They finish the week out at home on Friday night vs Spencer.  Wow, what a week and a tough schedule.

5.      Spencer County-  another jump in the rankings.  Spencer didn’t like being all the way down at the 7th spot.  They got back to back wins at Seneca and at home vs Oldham County.  They went 2-1 for the week.  They got beat by 30 to St X but that is a top 3 team in the entire state they lost to so who cares.  Spencer is here to stay.  Their shooting, length and a great culture is going to keep them in the conservation all season. This week-   playing three away games this week : an athletic Eastern team on Tuesday night, a talented Walton Verona team on Friday night and playing DeSales at the Underamour Classic in Henry County.  Another team with a tough week.

6.      Collins-  went 1-2 for the week but didn’t play a regional opponent so its hard to know how good they are in Regional ranking terms.  They did beat Madison  which is a good win and lost to LaRue County who won 23 games last year.  This week they have 2 region games coming up. This week- Gaither’s group will battle some region competition this week and I know they are excited about the test.  Tuesday they play a very good South team at home, Friday they play their county rivals at Shelby County and they are also going to Henry County on Saturday and will play a good Gallatin Team.  A big week for the Titans.

7.      North Oldham -  the Mustangs started the season off with a record of 1-2.  Losing their top 2 scorers from last year will be an adjustment for the Mustangs.  However, they have the pieces to make run in March.  The opening loss to Walton was a great game I heard.  The week - three away game for North Oldham this week.  Tuesday going to Dixie Heights, Friday a HUGE matchup vs Simon Kenton and ending the week at Henry County vs Ryle.

8.      Gallatin County- the Wildcats also jumped up in the rankings with their 3-0 start to the season.  They are putting a lot of points on the board and have their eyes set on get to the regional tournament in March and getting a big upset win to get to the semifinals. This week-  Big matchup on Tues when they travel to Walton, Home game vs Eminence which should be an easy win, and heading to Henry County to take on Collins. 

9.      Oldham County- keeping the Colonels at the 8th spot.  They started the season 1-2 with a couple close loses.  Sounding like OC has some young talent and are even starting an 8th grader.  With their injuries the Colonels are trying to find their identity sounds like. This weeks-  only playing on the weekend this week with a game at home vs Western on Friday night and Saturday heading to Henry County to play the host team of the Classic at 8pm

10.      Henry County- the Wildcats from New Castles started this season with a bang by beating Anderson on a last second shot (or so I hear).  HCHS started the season 3-0.  They will have a big game to end the week to see if they can climb higher. This week- away game at Highlands Latin on Tuesday and two homes games this week with Owen on Friday and Oldham on Saturday.

11.  Anderson County-  probably a little unfair to drop them so far but I just couldn’t put them ahead of Henry on the second poll of the year.  I still think Anderson has the talent to work themselves back up the poll as the season goes on.  One game doesn’t define your season. After losing to Henry they took their frustration out on Washington County and won by 30 plus.  This week- big week ahead to see if they can move up the poll of week two with a win over Gallatin who they play on Friday but first they will have to tackle a Grant County team who is really good at home. They travel there on Tues which is about a 8 hour trip from Lawrenceburg.

12.  Grant County- the Braves started this season off with a 1-1 record.  Lost to a good Beechwood team and got a good win vs St Henry.  Grant has a big week with 3 regional games.  If they want to crack the top 10 a win vs Anderson County would ensure it. This week- game vs Anderson on Tuesday and vs Williamstown on Thursday.  Finishing the week traveling Owen County on Saturday.

13.  Owen County-  moved up in the ranking after their 2-0 start.  They had a convincing win vs Williamstown.  A huge week for Owen if they want to break into the top 10. This week- Away game at Shelby on Tuesday and Henry on Friday.  Saturday they Grant County at 7:30pm

14.  Shelby County- the Rockets had a tough start to their season going 0-2.  They are planning on bouncing back this week. This week- all three games are home .  Tuesday vs Owen, Friday vs Collins and Saturday vs Collegiate.

15.  Owen County- started the season off going 2-0.  Three huge games this week to show they are an opponent everyone should fear on any given night. This week- away at Shelby and Henry on Tue and Friday nights.  On Saturday they take on Grant at Home.

16.  Williamstown- rough start to the season going 0-3 last week.  They are looking to get in the wins column this week. This week- away game at Ludlow tonight and Grant county on Thursday.  Saturday they will be traveling to Villa Madonna.

17.  Trimble- even though Trimble started off 0-3 , I think they can get back to back wins this week This week- Tuesday is home vs Frankfort Chr and Thursday is home vs Carroll.

18.  Carroll County – The Panthers of Carrollton started the year off 0-2.  They are ready to get into the win column this week vs Trimble County on Thursday.  This is their only game of the week

19. Eminence – started the season off 0-3.  The Warriors are working hard to earn a win this week.This week- home vs Cornerstone Christian on Tuesday and traveling to Gallatin to face a good Wildcats team on Thursday.

Really good stuff,thanks for covering the 8th region. 

  • Author
2 minutes ago, MustangSally said:

North Oldham leave the 8th?

I am new to this and I totally left them off by accident. They are obviously top 8. I apologize and have no idea how I did this because they were in my notes I made in my word document. Once I copied and pasted , I screwed it up. 
My apology to North Oldham fan base. 
It will not happen again! 

Just now, Bballjunkie said:

I am new to this and I totally left them off by accident. They are obviously top 8. I apologize and have no idea how I did this because they were in my notes I made in my word document. Once I copied and pasted , I screwed it up. 
My apology to North Oldham fan base. 
It will not happen again! 

If you want to send me a PM with where they belong and what you want to say about them I will update this post.  And it happens to the best of us, thanks for your great work @Bballjunkie!

13 minutes ago, Bballjunkie said:

I am new to this and I totally left them off by accident. They are obviously top 8. I apologize and have no idea how I did this because they were in my notes I made in my word document. Once I copied and pasted , I screwed it up. 
My apology to North Oldham fan base. 
It will not happen again! 

I apologize, I didn’t know myself. Didn’t mean to sound harsh, thank you for providing information on this region! 

A shorthanded Anderson team with a big OT win over a gritty Grant County team last night in Dry Ridge.

 

Walton beat Gallatin by 11 last night. Heard it got up to as much as about a 25-30 point lead in the fourth quarter. 

  • Author
3 hours ago, Polar Bearcat said:

A shorthanded Anderson team with a big OT win over a gritty Grant County team last night in Dry Ridge.

 

Thanks for the info.... Sounded like a great game

Was someone out sick, suspended, or hurt for Anderson?

  • Author
1 hour ago, LLS10 said:

Walton beat Gallatin by 11 last night. Heard it got up to as much as about a 25-30 point lead in the fourth quarter. 

THanks for Info.... Walton has had some quality wins early in the season.  Tomorrow night will be a big one vs South Oldham

I believe Gallatin is overrated but we will see really soon because they finally have some test coming up they have no size and are not deep off the bench which results in not subbing starters so interesting how the next couple weeks play out for them.

  • Author
3 hours ago, bigreb76 said:

I believe Gallatin is overrated but we will see really soon because they finally have some test coming up they have no size and are not deep off the bench which results in not subbing starters so interesting how the next couple weeks play out for them.

You could be right. Only time will tell. They lost by 11 last night at Walton . Which is not a bad loss. They play Collins and Anderson this weekend so it will def show what type of team they are early on in the season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.