Covington Catholic 3 St. Henry 2

Oh boy...what could have been if you're a Cru fan.  St. Henry led this game 2-1 with 10 minutes left in the game, they stone an Andrew Roland PK with around 8 minutes left (save by B. Fedders [is this his first year playing soccer?]), but then give up a sloppy goal with around 6 minutes left to tie the score....followed by Andrew Roland's redemption moment with around 2 minutes remaining to give the Colonels the narrow 3-2 victory in Park Hills.  Was a solid crowd last night and a beautiful evening for soccer, so there was that.  There is nothing the Cru parents wanted more than that victory last night, and it was right there for the taking, but in the end, CovCath gets the result.

CCH moves to 4-5-0 on the season (really difficult schedule, to be sure), and ends their three game skid.  They get Cooper at home next Tuesday in what should be an outstanding game.

The Cru fall to 2-6-0 on the season (wins over Conner and Beechwood), and now get the weekend off (from games anyway) before playing Holy Cross on Tuesday night down in Covington / Latonia.  I don't think the Indians are going to find SHDHS in the best mood on Tuesday, so they should be prepared for a spirited effort from Coach Litzler's troops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

B Fedders is a Senior Basketball player. This is his first season in soccer. The SHHS goalie was injured preseason. To be fair, he had a good night in the goal.

I think CCHS troubles are less talent related and more coaching related. They appear to be playing an entirely different game as opposed to last season. Different formation with 2 in the defending 3rd and a full midfield that more often than not, are in each others way.

The old adage that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  is old for a reason. If CCH wants a winning season it would seem that they either need to change how they're playing, or improve on what is obviously not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OutOfNeccessity said:

B Fedders is a Senior Basketball player. This is his first season in soccer.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I'm well aware of the young man on the hardwood (and I LOVE his father), but your 2nd part answered my question perfectly.  Good for him for jumping in after the Erwin (I'm assuming it was him) GK was injured.  Certainly a big body between the pipes to try and slip one by.

33 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I'm well aware of the young man on the hardwood (and I LOVE his father), but your 2nd part answered my question perfectly.  Good for him for jumping in after the Erwin (I'm assuming it was him) GK was injured.  Certainly a big body between the pipes to try and slip one by.

For someone who apparently has never played, he was impressive. Basketball players (especially centers and rebounders) make excellent GKs. Strong hands, no fear of going up in a crowded space, or of contact. Practice makes perfect, but he definitely represented his school last night.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutOfNeccessity said:

For someone who apparently has never played, he was impressive. Basketball players (especially centers and rebounders) make excellent GKs. Strong hands, no fear of going up in a crowded space, or of contact. Practice makes perfect, but he definitely represented his school last night.

That is a little trick in youth soccer that I would do back in the day when you have no idea who might play keeper.  You actually ask "who plays basketball"??  Typically those that raise their hands are normally your best options to try out the keeper position.

• Like 1