Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Schools with Field Turf

Featured Replies

On 4/10/2025 at 10:12 AM, 24Rocks said:

What is the average cost to install a turf field?

Last I heard the turf itself is about $750k and is lasting about 15 years at a time. Its honestly almost cheaper by the end of 15 years if a field is properly maintained with sand, sod, fertilizer, mowing, servicing reel mowers, painting, irrigation maintenance, especially if that is all contracted out and not done mostly by a coach, groundskeeper, AD, etc. Did a research paper about 10 years ago when turf costed about 1 million and it could pay for itself after about 7 years. I'd imagine even sooner now.

 

Only caveat, Turf hurts my old back to stand on compared to grass. I am not sure of the reason but it does. There was talk that turf was more dangerous to play on a couple years ago, but I haven't heard any comments on that recently so I am assuming it was inconclusive or disproven. Also very hot in the summer.

Little Metcalfe County also has turf this offseason after moving away from sharing the city park's football field. They also Misspelled their name on the sign "Metacalfe County" 

  • Replies 46
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Roundsteak
    Roundsteak

    Hard to believe that Male still plays on grass. By the time the playoffs come around, their field is a mess. Can you image with their speed playing on artificial turf?

  • You can thank the wizards running JCPS for that...but that is a thread for another day! 

  • ColonelMike
    ColonelMike

    If what I hear is correct, North Oldham and Oldham County will soon be added to that list, but not this season.   

36 minutes ago, AppalachianTactician said:

Last I heard the turf itself is about $750k and is lasting about 15 years at a time. Its honestly almost cheaper by the end of 15 years if a field is properly maintained with sand, sod, fertilizer, mowing, servicing reel mowers, painting, irrigation maintenance, especially if that is all contracted out and not done mostly by a coach, groundskeeper, AD, etc. Did a research paper about 10 years ago when turf costed about 1 million and it could pay for itself after about 7 years. I'd imagine even sooner now.

 

Only caveat, Turf hurts my old back to stand on compared to grass. I am not sure of the reason but it does. There was talk that turf was more dangerous to play on a couple years ago, but I haven't heard any comments on that recently so I am assuming it was inconclusive or disproven. Also very hot in the summer.

Little Metcalfe County also has turf this offseason after moving away from sharing the city park's football field. They also Misspelled their name on the sign "Metacalfe County" 

Thanks for the information.  I remember back in my day the grass would be worn down in the middle of the field and between freezing, thawing, getting wet and drying out, the top layer of dirt could get as hard as concrete.  That was just from games (middle school, JV, and high school) and band practice.  There was a separate field for football practice.  I'd say turf would be a lot better in that aspect late in the season.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.