St. Xavier & Lexington Catholic (2022 Boys' Lacrosse Champions)

• theguru changed the title to St. Xavier vs. Lexington Catholic (2022 Boys' Lacrosse Championship)
2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

@Bluegrasscard, so will the St X vs Lex Cath game actually happen or are you just wanting that?

I don't follow boys lax as much as girls so not certain on that.  Thx!

It actually did already.  St. X did beat LexCath during the regular season, 17-4. 

The two leagues remain separate with KSLL being Louisville metro and CLL being more statewide. 

I was around when the split occurred many years ago.  They were using previous years LAXPower ratings to form three classes.  The top class had 8 teams in it.  But the state schools would swing in strength from year to year.  And the 3 or 4 top schools were (and still are) in the Louisville metro area year after year.  The combination led to LexCath and Tates Creek being in the top class with the Louisville powerhouses after both graduated large senior classes the year before.  LexCath had 1 senior and 1 junior - and all the rest underclassmen that year.  It made for some rough outings. 

I would suspect you will see St. X continue to be...St. X...in the future in this sport.  LexCath has always been strong in the state-wide league since the split. This even after the original coach took over the Transylvania program and some other coaching changes over time.  Henry Clay has tradtionally been strong as well. 

If the KHSAA steps in or they recombine they will have to deal with wide range of maturity in the programs and dynamics of the less established programs.  Things were growing and expanding under the split but it seems that has slowed or stopped somewhat. 

Its a great sport that I continue to encourage all kids (and adults if so inclined) to be involved in. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theguru said:

So there is no actual game and we have two separate champions? @Bluegrasscard

Correct.  Like NFL and AFL pre-Superbowl.  So the seasons are over for everyone. 

Here are a couple of sites with rankings.  LAXPOWER used to be "the bible" for such things but it shut down. 

Lasnumbers seems to be up to date and shows both State Champs.

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2022&v=3190

Inside Lacrosse site has buttons to show the different leagues and divisions (for CLL).  It seems a little behind with W-L records. 

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/highschool/state/KY/22

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to St. Xavier & Lexington Catholic (2022 Boys' Lacrosse Champions)
50 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Correct.  Like NFL and AFL pre-Superbowl.  So the seasons are over for everyone. 

Here are a couple of sites with rankings.  LAXPOWER used to be "the bible" for such things but it shut down. 

Lasnumbers seems to be up to date and shows both State Champs.

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2022&v=3190

Inside Lacrosse site has buttons to show the different leagues and divisions (for CLL).  It seems a little behind with W-L records. 

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/highschool/state/KY/22

Thank you.  I retitled the thread, if you have a way to improve it let me know and I will do it.  

Thanks!

g

Thank you @Bluegrasscard!  Good info above.

It seems to me that possibly organizing and sanctioning by KHSAA in multiple Classes where the top class is the Louisville Metro teams and a few others and then the next is the rest of Kentucky that have teams and possibly a Single A for brand new teams.  Just a thought.  As I agree with you that the growth that lacrosse was experiencing seems to have stalled.  A LOT of that is pandemic educed as 2 consecutive middle school seasons were completely cancelled.  This left middle school programs decimated as the leaders of those programs had likely moved on to high school with their sons and daughters.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, Purple88 said:

Thank you @Bluegrasscard!  Good info above.

It seems to me that possibly organizing and sanctioning by KHSAA in multiple Classes where the top class is the Louisville Metro teams and a few others and then the next is the rest of Kentucky that have teams and possibly a Single A for brand new teams.  Just a thought.  As I agree with you that the growth that lacrosse was experiencing seems to have stalled.  A LOT of that is pandemic educed as 2 consecutive middle school seasons were completely cancelled.  This left middle school programs decimated as the leaders of those programs had likely moved on to high school with their sons and daughters.

Wow.  That is a blow to the sport.  The middle school years is where are our son got started.  Those 7th and 8th grade years are important development periods. 

I do find a lot of interest when the sport comes up in casual conversation.  Hopefully the base is strong enough to get the growth back on track.

• Like 1