Browns 24 Ravens 22

Final in a war of attrition.  Harbaugh with another headscratcher going for 2, way too early this time.  They got in a position to win late with their first onside kick recovery in 20 years, but couldn’t get in field goal range.  

• Like 1

The Browns defense was playing well, then all of a sudden down the stretch the D seemed to fall apart.  They couldn't even get set and in position before the snap and the Ravens went right down the field to score.  It was kind of strange.  But I'll take a win for the Browns.  

I found another NFL rule that I despise.  The Browns have the ball on 2nd down and Mayfield gets tackled.  He goes down kind of hard but nothing serious looking but his helmet is face down on the turf.  

Officials, who are not even on the field but are watching the game from NY (?) say that he went down hard and must come out of the game for concussion protocol.  This means that he is out for the 3rd down play ad the Browns fail to convert and must punt.  

There was nothing wrong with Mayfield and I'm sure anyone on the field could see that.  He was giving the coaches or trainers on the sideline an earful but their hands were tied because the officials watching the game said they had to do it.  

Talk about an intrusion into the game.  That rule could literally change the outcome of a game given the right (or wrong) situation.  Imagine that happening in a game where the 3rd down conversion is crucial to the outcome.  What if it was in a game needed to make the playoffs, or in a playoff game, or in the Super Bowl?  

I understand they are trying to protect the players but no way should an official not at the game be able to take the QB off the field in a crucial situation or in any situation.  If you have to have the rule to check on a players health, then figure out how to do it so it doesn't penalize the team of change the game.  I hate that rule.  It would be less egregious if it became an officials timeout and they made the assessment on the player and after his condition was determined, start the game back up and allow the player to go back in the game if he clears the protocol.  

That would have the potential to stretch the game much longer than needed, but it is better than taking the QB or the team's best player off the field in a "gotta have it" situation.  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, oldgrappler said:

I found another NFL rule that I despise.  The Browns have the ball on 2nd down and Mayfield gets tackled.  He goes down kind of hard but nothing serious looking but his helmet is face down on the turf.  

Officials, who are not even on the field but are watching the game from NY (?) say that he went down hard and must come out of the game for concussion protocol.  This means that he is out for the 3rd down play ad the Browns fail to convert and must punt.  

There was nothing wrong with Mayfield and I'm sure anyone on the field could see that.  He was giving the coaches or trainers on the sideline an earful but their hands were tied because the officials watching the game said they had to do it.  

Talk about an intrusion into the game.  That rule could literally change the outcome of a game given the right (or wrong) situation.  Imagine that happening in a game where the 3rd down conversion is crucial to the outcome.  What if it was in a game needed to make the playoffs, or in a playoff game, or in the Super Bowl?  

I understand they are trying to protect the players but no way should an official not at the game be able to take the QB off the field in a crucial situation or in any situation.  If you have to have the rule to check on a players health, then figure out how to do it so it doesn't penalize the team of change the game.  I hate that rule.  It would be less egregious if it became an officials timeout and they made the assessment on the player and after his condition was determined, start the game back up and allow the player to go back in the game if he clears the protocol.  

That would have the potential to stretch the game much longer than needed, but it is better than taking the QB or the team's best player off the field in a "gotta have it" situation.  

Agree with everything here. 

Leave it to the officials on the field, IMO. In my years around football (playing, coaching, officiating) that glazed look or stagger standing is easily noticed on the field, and it usually doesn't even come on the hard hit that NY is going to be buzzing in for. 

• Like 1