Back ice rink at Lexington Ice Center destroyed by fire

Bluegrasscard

The "back rink" at the Lexington Ice Center was destroyed in a fire on July 20th.  The building was total loss.   This second rink provided capacity that allowed school, travel, adult and youth leagues to play at much more convenient times.  It had limited fan area and home made boards and plexiglass "glass".  But it was valuable facility to the local hockey community.  Also lost were youth gear and a signed jersey from Sydney Crosby. 

https://www.wkyt.com/2021/07/20/investigation-continues-into-large-fire-lexington-ice-center/

On 8/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, swamprat said:

Isn't that where the UK hockey club team plays or played?

All the teams at all levels would practice  in "The Tin Can" - its nickname as a metal building  And most of the leagues, including high school would host games back there. 

But UK usually plays on the main or "Front rink".  However, due to the raucous attendees the games are relegated to midnight time slots.  This does make UK club hockey game some of the most fun in the college ranks.  We did a Tennessee game one time with young family members in tow. It was definitely not family affair atmosphere.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

All the teams at all levels would practice  in "The Tin Can" - its nickname as a metal building  And most of the leagues, including high school would host games back there. 

But UK usually plays on the main or "Front rink".  However, due to the raucous attendees the games are relegated to midnight time slots.  This does make UK club hockey game some of the most fun in the college ranks.  We did a Tennessee game one time with young family members in tow. It was definitely not family affair atmosphere.  

My college roommates and I were regulars at UK hockey games. We’d go to the game then hit White Castle after. I’d literally die if I tried to run that schedule these days! 😂

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 12:41 PM, Bluegrasscard said:

I absolutely love the USF club hockey games. Top Shelf Sports Pub is right at rink side where the Ice Bulls play and the late starts work out great for us because the Center Ice is in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. I am looking forward to see them play this winter. They have Georgia and GaTech on the schedule. Should be fun.

• Like 1