I Need Help With My Drafting Strategy!

BFritz

Ok, peeps, I draft with my good friends tonight and it's the most important thing to happen all year.

I didn't even enter any other leagues this year because pride, respect, bragging rights, and glory are all on the line.

I'm drafting in the 6th spot in a 10-team league.

I'm leaning at going unconventional and taking Kelce in round 1, Nick Chubb in round 2 (assuming he falls that far), and then Mahomes in round 3 (might be a bit of a reach but I don't want to miss out on him and he and Kelce would give me at least 30 guaranteed combined points each week).

Or should I go Dalvin Cook in the second?

Is the third too early to take Mahomes? Should I hope he falls to the fourth round? He's projected for the fifth round, but people get crazy, especially since I dominated last year with him as my QB.

Help me out!

I wouldn’t take Kelce in the first round. Not that he’s a bad player, but in that spot, you’d be passing on a top line RB or WR which is going to be more impactful. Same with Mahomes. You can survive with almost any starting tight end and Qb, even streaming those positions based on matchup. I always fill my starters at RB and WR before picking a tight end. I just got Russell Wilson in the 8th round and OJ Howard in the 9th. They certainly aren’t Mahomes and Kelce but it’s not as big a drop off as skipping RB’s and WR’s early and waiting until the later rounds. No reason to get unconventional and start reaching round 1. And Kelce would be a huge reach. I also don’t like pairing guys from the same team. If your top guys are on the same team and they have a bad day your toast.

You have to know your league. A league that I drafted in this past weekend always goes after QB's early. The person drafting #10 took Mahomes and Kelce. Almost every highly rated QB went a couple of rounds before the experts said they should be drafted. That the way that league rolls. So if you are in a league that drafts QB's early, then you will have to go early to get Mahomes. My QB is Russell Wilson. I had him last year too and he carried my team a big part of the season.

My word of caution is don't get fixated on certain players. Once you get past the first couple rounds, odds shrink on you getting certain players unless you choose to reach for them above where they are projected to go. You have to adjust to what is happening.