Henderson County at Warren Central

The Scribe

Who wins Friday?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Friday?

• Henderson County
    • Warren Central

I saw Warren played a average at best Franklin Simpson team in the Rafferty Bowl at the start of the season and only saw Henderson once against OHS this past week-end. Having said that, I believe WC may win the game, but if they let Henderson hang around, the Colonels could bring home the regional. Lightfoot at punter is dangerous which just adds to the Colonels offensive power. If he had punted in the first game between these two (OHS-Henderson) Henderson, IMO, would had won it also. Henderson is playing well right now. Great adjustments against OHS this past week-end. Go Colonels.

As I've said several times elsewhere, I think it is fitting that this is the region championship before the realignment. In the past four years, it has been Henderson and Central. Only one other team has even been to the regional title game, and that is Christian County (twice). Henderson and Central have each won two regional titles, and they've split their head to head matchups in the finals, with Central winning at home in 2003 and Henderson at home in 2004. It's only fitting that they get to go head to head in the rubber match for both the tie in head to head and regional titles in the last 5 years.

Getting down to the game itself, I must admit that I don't know an awful lot about Henderson County. I know that they have Lightfoot, who is one of the talented crop of backs in the west, and that they have a sophomore QB who has replaced the departed Fidler. That pretty well does it for what I know. I'm told that Hendo features a pretty balanced offense, which means that they do pass, Central's critical weakness on defense. I'd look for Henderson to attack that all night long. I do think that Lightfoot will have difficulty running on Central, as he did against Owensboro. 'Boro had the #1 rushing defense in 4A, Central features #2. As for dealing with the pass, it wouldn't surprise me to see Central blitz quite a bit, and try to rattle the young QB and throw off their game that way.

Central's offense vs. Henderson's defense, you tell me. I know Henderson shut down Owensboro with the exception of a deep pass play and a 54 yard run. Other than that the Devils had less than 100 yards offense. That tells me that Henderson is pretty solid, but I do wonder how much of that had to do with Owensboro's offense being pretty limited to Nick Hall. Also, I saw that Apollo had a lot of success through the air going for 324 yards. Looking at their schedule, I'm not sure Hendo has seen an offense as good as Central's since they played the Indiana schools.

My prediction is that the game ends up being a shootout, not unlike the first round games for each team. And because usually I can't really bring myself to pick against my team, I'm going to take Central by 10 points in this one. I think their defense will do just enough against Henderson and I think that the Dragon offense will be on track for most of the night.