NFL Logic

Everyone on the Bills coaching staff should be fired. Just a baffling decision.

This decision was SO BAD (and I was saying it before the game), that I could see this blowing up the locker room. If I am a veteran player and the team is 5-4 and a playoff team if the playoffs started yesterday...and you bench Taylor (who is by my estimation an average starting QB - not great but not bad) for someone nobody has ever heard of and had never played a regular season NFL game...I would think (1) you are giving up on the season for some insane reason, (2) you are just an idiot or (3) I would at least wonder if race was involved. I doubt race had anything to do with it but when a decision this crazy is made, I have to admit the thought crossed my mind.

Do you ever ponder NFL Logic, and wonder why it has zero to do with what real, live logic looks like?

Two recent examples that scream out to me, but I would appreciate other exasperated NFL fans to add to this:

• The NFL owners — despite the objections of the league's most powerful owner — are going forward with a contract extension for the most reviled commissioner in pro sports history. With a nice raise. It's like they don't even realize the correction that is coming in terms of how much the network contracts will go for next time, as well as the fact that Amazon/YouTube/NetFlix/Yahoo and others figure to be bidding next time.

• The Should-Be San Diego Chargers are trucking a Buffalo team that was on the inside track to end a playoff drought of darned-near two decades right now because the Bills decided today was the day for a change from their quite adequate and occasionally spectacular regular QB to some rookie named Peterman, who responded by throwing a gross amount of INTs in just one half.

NFL Logic: It's not like real logic, and you don't have to be Spock to spot this stuff.

Jim, I am not a big Jerry Jones fan, but I have no idea what the owners are thinking renewing Goodell's contract AND WITH A RAISE! I would think plenty of very qualified candidates would do that job for $10MM...or certainly $20MM...and they are paying Goodell $40-50MM!?!?? Pure insanity IMO. I think the owners are afraid they will not be able to agree on the next guy so they will just stick with Roger even though he really has not done anything right since the last CBA (he totally won the last CBA - but I think most guys in his shoes could out negotiate the players' union - the NFL has all the leverage).