Christian County 21 Graves County 14 (OT)

Purple88

All I know is what I see. I'm not a coach or a police officer. I'm a Dad: my daughter is a varsity Graves cheerleader (I graduated from Mayfield and generally comment on the Cardinals).

Best I can tell (again, from the stands) this started last year at Stadium of Champions when the Eagles visited the Colonels. GC cheerleaders had formed a corridor for their boys to run through as they enter the field from the endzone to the right of the visitor's side. The CC guys came across the field early and deliberately ran through the lines of GC cheerleaders and I believe some were knocked down. Well, I think that was not forgotten when this year some students / players from GC waved their flag at the CC team before the game. I also saw a good goal-line stance by the CC boys (did GC score????) and after the end of the game the CC players (more than 2) threw off their helmets and ran straight to the GC team, cheerleaders, and stands while pounding their chests and making things worse.

Are both sides to blame for the skirmishes? Probably. Could it have been handled better? Probably. Will the next meeting of these two teams be ugly? I certainly hope not. It doesn't have to be this way.

I hope you know I'm only calling it the way I see it.

Also, both teams could have played better and it was anybody's game until the very end.

Last year Graves set their tunnel to run through on Christian County side of the field. Each has a designated warm up side for a reason. Yes it was disrespectful for CCHS players to run through it but would've never happened if the cheerleaders had been on the opposite side of field. Also, most importantly, no cheerleaders we're knocked down.

Now back to this year. Both teams were not at their best and both have faults in the extra activities. Hate it ended that way because it has become a pretty good district rivalry with the number of good games these two teams have had in the past several years.

Good luck to both teams in playoffs.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it."

Maybe they didn't hit the ground but they were run into. I asked my daughter to make sure I was remembering correctly and she confirmed. The players were coming onto the field from the locker rooms and the GC cheer squad was standing where their coach was told to place them by CC coaching. Also, they were not on CC's "side" they were toward the endzone and closer to the GC side. It was blatantly disrespectful.

OK I'm done with this topic.