Franklin-Simpson 35 Glasgow 19

Jumper_Dad

FS rolled up 452 rushing yards.

Tre Bass accounted for 240 of that and three TDs on 7 carries.

After a competitive first half with a 21-19 halftime score FS came out and took control on both sides of the ball. The Scotties could muster only 2 yds of total offense in the 4th quarter.

Now for the season that counts.

FS is improving with each game, especially the secondary.

I like the tougher schedule the Wildcats have faced this year. They took a couple of blowouts earlier in the season but they were great learning experiences. You don't really learn a whole lot by pounding lesser opponents.

Glasgow's QB Dalvin Smith is a really good player. He was also at safety for the Scotties and did well there too.

FS seems to improve on both side of the ball every week. THEIR DEFENSE IS DIFFERENCE. Everybody knows that they have a three headed monster in the backfield Bass, Brady, McKinney, but their defense is getting it done. Their secondary was tested last night and came out on top. One pick and many passes broken up. Defense wins championships. If the pass defense catches up to their run defense these guys could end up in Lexington.

A couple of things about my trip to Glasgow.

First:

Prior to the game Coach John Chaney and I got a personal tour of the Glasgow High Hall of Fame "Boxes". Each member of the HOF has their own memory box hanging on the wall. The first one I saw was a dear family friend Coach Butch Gilbert. I literally knew Coach Gilbert my entire life. During the summer of 1965 I put all the pressure a 14 year old could muster up trying to get Butch to come coach his alma mater, BGHS, but he convinced me it would not be right to leave the Scotties that close to the season.

The last memorable encounter was at a WKU game when I showed up wearing a blue FS pullover. Coach promptly marched me to the Big Red Store and I emerged in a WKU Red pullover.

My first HS start was at Glasgow game one of the 1966 season. I spent the evening across the line from Glasgow HOF, All State, HS All American, and future Crimson Tide player Gene England. I survived, that's about all I can say. Although despite being huge underdogs BGH battled the mighty Scotties to a 0-0 tie. I think everyone who played left with a limp.

Second:

The Glasgow HS Scottie Band. They took the field in the kilts, sporrans, and bonnets lead by the Bagpipe and Drum Corps playing "Scotland the Brave". If you have a dram of Scottish blood in your veins that will raise the goosebumps for sure.