Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

DSL Router/Modem Help

Featured Replies

I have been using a NETGEAR 300mps DSL modem/router for a few years. I can only access the internet throught ATT DSL at my place. It has seemed slow so I upgraded to a faster version NETGEAR 1.7 gps version...or attempted to. It seemed to connect, but as soon as I attempted to access the web through a device it stopped working....several times. I gave up, and I put it back in the box to return it.

 

Is it possible it is too fast for my DSL, and that is why it quits? Is it just defective? Regardless, it was a very frustrating night. I hooked back up the old one, and it is working as it did before...but working nonetheless.

Hey @swamprat can you help a brother out?

 

I can only guess, not actually being to observe what is happening and not experiencing this problem before. It's also been a while since I've dealt with DSL.

 

DSL is a signal that piggy backs on to your regular land line phone circuit. It can be affected by a lot of things. @doomer, how did your land line phones work with the new modem attached. If they got crackly or buzzed, then the modem was definitely defective. Otherwise, my guess is that the modem is incompatible with the DSL circuit, though it could still be defective. How or why it would be incompatible, I could not tell you without some research on the circuit and the modem.

 

Here is the bottom line, though...

 

The best DSL circuit speed that AT&T offers is no better than 6 Mbps, the upload and download speed between the modem and the internet can not be better than 6 Mbps. The 300 Mbps is the speed of the router portion of the modem/router. It's the speed of the internal network in your home or business, the speed with which your devices communicate with the modem/router. @doomer, your present modem/router should serve you fine, unless you plan on throwing a hundred devices on it or it is defective, itself.

 

Hope that helps.

  • Author
I can only guess, not actually being to observe what is happening and not experiencing this problem before. It's also been a while since I've dealt with DSL.

 

DSL is a signal that piggy backs on to your regular land line phone circuit. It can be affected by a lot of things. @doomer, how did your land line phones work with the new modem attached. If they got crackly or buzzed, then the modem was definitely defective. Otherwise, my guess is that the modem is incompatible with the DSL circuit, though it could still be defective. How or why it would be incompatible, I could not tell you without some research on the circuit and the modem.

 

Here is the bottom line, though...

 

The best DSL circuit speed that AT&T offers is no better than 6 Mbps, the upload and download speed between the modem and the internet can not be better than 6 Mbps. The 300 Mbps is the speed of the router portion of the modem/router. It's the speed of the internal network in your home or business, the speed with which your devices communicate with the modem/router. @doomer, your present modem/router should serve you fine, unless you plan on throwing a hundred devices on it or it is defective, itself.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Thanks so much...very helpful. We do not use the line for a phone, only DSL, but I am going to take your advice and keep the old one and get my money back.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.