How many UK fans have never been to a game?

All Blue

I've been saying forever that Rupp is a very bland place. Great place to watch a game and the atmosphere is great. But the arena itself is horrible. There are much nicer arenas around the country starting with Yum! A lot of people complain about the older more well off but quiet fans that sit in the lower lower level at Rupp. At a new arena you could put them up in luxury boxes and put the students along the sidelines and the atmosphere would increase greatly by doing this. I haven't been to UK yet this year to see what the games are like now with the new video board above center court. I guess I'll find out Saturday.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying forever that Rupp is a very bland place. Great place to watch a game and the atmosphere is great. But the arena itself is horrible. There are much nicer arenas around the country starting with Yum! A lot of people complain about the older more well off but quiet fans that sit in the lower lower level at Rupp. At a new arena you could put them up in luxury boxes and put the students along the sidelines and the atmosphere would increase greatly by doing this. I haven't been to UK yet this year to see what the games are like now with the new video board above center court. I guess I'll find out Saturday.

The new video board is awesome, as is the sound system, though the sound system could be toned down a bit in my opinion. I'm sure dialing it in with butts in the seats is a work in progress though.

As far as a new arena goes, that has been talked about numerous times, not just on here but within the university and city leaders. The idea was to more less tear down Rupp and rebuild it, UK was able to commit the money for that process but asked the city of Lexington to handle the "cityscape" portion outside of the arena. When the city went to the state and asked for a grant, they were told no. Meanwhile, the YUM! center is almost $700 million dollars in debt and guess who gets to pick up the tab on that deal?

The designs for the new Rupp Arena are absolutely insane | For The Win