Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How The Playoffs Could Look... (Seeding Semi-States)

Featured Replies

I actually like the look of the 2a mythical bracket. I believe that (from an eastern bias) District 7 is LOADED. LCA, Danville, and Somerset are all good football teams and could make a deep run if they weren't in the same district.

  • Author
Interesting, however I'm not a fan of the neutral field idea.

 

See my post below yours.

 

I dislike the current system because of what I noted... but at the same time when seeding is involved and an external measure is used to create seeding (CPU formula in this case) I am not a fan of assigning homefield advantage for two pretty even teams based off a CPU formula. It's not a big deal in Rounds 1 and 2, but once you start getting to District Champs vs. District Champs it is important to make all things equal.

 

I also like the fact that if or some reason your two top teams in a Semi-State are in the same District, this allows them to have a rematch on a neutral field. You can't change the fact the regular season game will be played either home or away, but if they are clearly the two best teams this goes a long way to seeing who is truly better without the element of home field advantage.

See my post below yours.

 

I dislike the current system because of what I noted... but at the same time when seeding is involved and an external measure is used to create seeding (CPU formula in this case) I am not a fan of assigning homefield advantage for two pretty even teams based off a CPU formula. It's not a big deal in Rounds 1 and 2, but once you start getting to District Champs vs. District Champs it is important to make all things equal.

 

I also like the fact that if or some reason your two top teams in a Semi-State are in the same District, this allows them to have a rematch on a neutral field. You can't change the fact the regular season game will be played either home or away, but if they are clearly the two best teams this goes a long way to seeing who is truly better without the element of home field advantage.

 

I like your seeding idea. And forgive me if I'm off base here, but If you use the neutral field idea your pulling in even more schools into the mix(basically adding a 3rd school into the mix with the two playoff teams) and wouldn't that gate $ get spread even thinner?

  • Author
I like your seeding idea. And forgive me if I'm off base here, but If you use the neutral field idea your pulling in even more schools into the mix(basically adding a 3rd school into the mix with the two playoff teams) and wouldn't that gate $ get spread even thinner?

 

HAHA I was hoping not to go this deep..but here we are anyway. Keep in mind I am open to suggestions, this is just me brainstorming and thinking out loud.

 

Rounds 1 and 2 would function just as we have always known for the most part. Team hosts, team split gate, host team gets concession. Bada Bing Bada Boom.

 

IF, and this is a big IF, one of the host schools for Round 1 or 2 does not meet KHSAA criteria for hosting a playoff game (improper facilities, improper seating, improper field conditions) then they will lose their right to host unless they can correct prior to the game. The default will be either to agree to play at the lower seed under the same agreement (split gate, home team gets concession) or the higher seed can find an approved KHSAA neutral site.

 

Prior to the playoffs teams can request to be an approved neutral site. The KHSAA will make sure the facility meets the requirements. The host neutral site gets all concession sales and also a set facility rental fee as determined by the KHSAA to reimburse for usage, clean-up, and any paid employees or first responders who must be on hand. Statewide will have one set admission price and neutral site games will cost a few dollars more to help offset the facility fee. (Let's say 6.00 per adult standard and 8.00 if neutral field is required)

 

The KHSAA will break these down depending on size and assign which Rounds they could potentially be acceptable for. Betsy Layne may be an acceptable neutral site alternate venue for Rounds 1 and 2, but it would not qualify for Rounds 3 or 4 due to seating and locker facilities for example. The KHSAA will also accept bids for non-High School venues such as colleges or universities, these would be more typical for the Semi-Finals for example.

 

The College or University must state when their facility will be accessible (may be Friday, may be Friday and Saturday if they do not have a home game) and any applicable changes to the fee to use depending on the day.

 

Borrowing a page from the State of Georgia, Round 3 and 4 will have an increase in ticket cost statewide. If Rounds 1 and 2 are 6.00, let's call Round 3 a 10.00 per adult ticket, and Round 4 a 12.00 per adult ticket. Since these are being played on Neutral Fields the KHSAA will coordinate the financials. All 24 3rd Round Games and all 12 Semi-Finals will be collected by the KHSAA. They will oversee coordination of staffing concession stands. The KHSAA already handles the Finals and the money generated will go into the same overall pot.

 

The KHSAA will then pay all usage fees for the venues used in Rounds 3-5, reimburse travel expenses, and pull out what is needed for expenses for the State Finals .This is where they also reimburse any smaller school who had to lose money in Rounds 1 or 2 due to travel expenses. For whatever is left the KHSAA will give each school an equal percentage of the pot depending on the number of games they participate in.

 

 

While I am at it with this hypthetical situation I am also going dictate that the KHSAA reach an agreement with prepspin to broadcast all the games because Prepspin is AWESOME :D

This would be great! If only us outsiders had some pull maybe something like this would get done!

 

I'm not anywhere near knowing what it cost to travel for a high school football team to travel hours away. But I seem to see travel costs would be high. Is this why things are the way they are?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.