Garrard County 26 Lloyd Memorial 25

GC_Lions

2 years ago Lloyds kicker Sergio Gutierrez didn't miss a single extra point and set school record for longest field at 49 yards. So saying 4 years this has been happening would be a complete lie. Let's stick with facts at least

KHSAA's stats say he missed a few. BUT you do have a point. I did forgot about Mr. Guitierez. With that being sad, since Sergio there has not been a stable kicking game. Fair enough statement?

Main thing I am getting at here is a lot of high schools do not put enough work into their special teams/ kicking game. Especially the smaller schools and this can be contributed to several reasons. IMO if a school wants to make that push from good to great, working on their special teams play can go along way.

Main thing I am getting at here is a lot of high schools do not put enough work into their special teams/ kicking game. Especially the smaller schools and this can be contributed to several reasons. IMO if a school wants to make that push from good to great, working on their special teams play can go along way.

How do you know if Lloyd puts enough time into special teams?

The kicker is a good kid. Lloyd lost the game because their D gave up 26 points and their O didn't convert enough of their possessions and because their kicker missed some kicks. Simple as that.

1) I never said the young man was anything. I do not know the young man nor his parents. I did not imply anything about the young mans character, nor would I. (When I say kicking game, I am not specifically calling out the field goal kicker. I am talking about all special teams.)

2) When a team doesn't even attempt extra points in games, that means they know it is a serious weak spot. So normally when you have a facet of your game that is that lacking you would be practicing that exclusively.

3) Out of all of those issues, to me the easiest to fix is the extra points/kicking. That's just leaving easy points off the board.

How do you know if Lloyd puts enough time into special teams?

Because they aren't sound on special teams. Watch the elite schools at any level/class, Beechwood, NCC, Highlands etc. Their special teams are all playing at the same level as their O/D. You will not find any glaring weak spots in any of the 3 phases of the game. That is the difference between being a yearly competitor, contender or the defender (champion).