The BGP Football Visitor's Thread

Hearsay

Now that Hearsay, Jr. is a freshmen varsity player, one of the things I am really starting to enjoy is traveling to the away games and spending social time not only with the small band of travel-hardened parents of his teammates, but seeing venues and areas I don't travel to much and also seeing other BGP people who might be from those areas.

When I joined BGP in 2005 it was right before the Tigers traveled to Mayfield for the semi-state game and I developed good online rapport fairly quickly with the very respectful and knowledgeable Mayfield folks (where is Toothpick these days?), and also got a good restaurant report, etc.

Several years ago when Monroe County was routinely kicking our butts in the playoffs, I got another great barbeque joint recommendation for our trip down there one year, and then had the privilege of hosting some proud Falcon-backers at one of our fine Bardstown establishments the next.

I thought that it might be cool to have a visitor's thread where folks could request, and receive, recommendations about places to eat, and BGPers to visit when their team goes to another town. I know this is done in some of the individual game threads, but a global thread could be referred back to for others to use in future games.

I am going to Henry County this Friday night (New Castle). Any recommendations of places to eat of BGPers to see there or Eminence?

Good call, counselor. I regularly seek out folks' recommendations on the rare occasions I get to go to away games. Thanks again to the Russellville folks for their suggestion about Roy's BBQ joint!

If you're coming to Bardstown and Hearsay isn't available, hit me up. I'll steer you to a good spot (and not just the one I work at).

Our Best in Smithfield is a hometown Cracker Barrell type (use your GPS), not too far out of your way, but definitely worth the sidetrack. Recommend you get there early and order catfish or pork chops and finish it off with their homecooked cream pies. There is nothing else around Eminence unless you stop in Shelbyville.