Amy Winehouse > Adele

Jim Schue

This is not to cast shade upon Adele, who I love.

It's just that she's having the career Amy Winehouse should be having if she hadn't chose to burn out.

No question I enjoy Amy's music more than Adele (who we all agree is a great talent). I don't know if she would have been mainstream enough to outsell Adele though.

For me, Adele is much more mainstream and would have sold much more music over time than Winehouse would have. Like them both but Adele is tops.

No question I enjoy Amy's music more than Adele (who we all agree is a great talent). I don't know if she would have been mainstream enough to outsell Adele though.

I'm not so sure about that, but we could never really know since Adele's success happened in a vacuum for the purposes of my theory. I will say that Winehouse actively cultivated relationships with hip-hop artists for remixes and such, which went over well in the club scene. I'm going to say that the album after "Back To Black" would have at least gone further into those areas. And, well, what's more mainstream pop these days than hip-hop?