Beechwood 31 Lawrenceburg (IN) 8 (Frosh)

Beechwood opens the season with a win. Top players in the game for Beechwood:

Marcus Berger - a 20 yard TD reception, 80 yard kickoff return TD and two interceptions. He returned one of the interceptions for a TD but a penalty for block in the back 15 yards behind the play got it called back.

Josh Derry - a 35 yard TD reception, leading tackler and hard hits on defense, a strip/fumble recovery.

Mitchell Corts - Two fumble recoveries, leading tackler on defense, some very nice powerful runs on offense.

Christopher Layton - Three TD passes.

Good first game for the freshmen. They will need to step it up next week if they are going to beat Newport Catholic.

Wasn't there a great back from Dixie named Derry? Seems to me, maybe in same backfield as Mark Pike. Old memory tells me he was a pretty big back that ran downhill very well. Anybody know if I remember correctly and is Josh perhaps his son?

Chris coaches the freshman team at Beechwood.

Some good genes in that freshman class. Marcus Berger's dad is Brandon Berger, Beechwood Hall of Famer who played major league baseball player.

Brandon was obviously a great baseball player; however, he and Scott Tackett are still my favorite Beechwood Tiger running backs ever.