Highlands 47 Newport Central Catholic 42 (Frosh)

Final

Birds jump out to 29-15 half but the Breds came out hungry in the 3rd pulling to within a basket. Birds looked awful in the 3rd but bounced back in the 4th to hold on.

Ryan Leigh was 5-5 from 3 pt land for Birds hitting 4 in the first half and a huge 5th trey with under 2 min to break a 41-41 tie.

NCC lacks skill in the freshman class across the board but they make up for it with heart. They also have a good coaching staff, they made it a game.

The officials were putrid all around....there were so many obvious misses that we were laughing in the stands. They kept huddling and holding up play to discuss calls it was just really bad. I'm sorry but IMO I've seen 4th grade refs that were better.

Shouldn't deter from the effort NCC Gave comING back and the intestinal fortitude the Birds showed down the stretch.

Final

Birds jump out to 29-15 half but the Breds came out hungry in the 3rd pulling to within a basket. Birds looked awful in the 3rd but bounced back in the 4th to hold on.

Ryan Leigh was 5-5 from 3 pt land for Birds hitting 4 in the first half and a huge 5th trey with under 2 min to break a 41-41 tie.

NCC lacks skill in the freshman class across the board but they make up for it with heart. They also have a good coaching staff, they made it a game.

The officials were putrid all around....there were so many obvious misses that we were laughing in the stands. They kept huddling and holding up play to discuss calls it was just really bad. I'm sorry but IMO I've seen 4th grade refs that were better.

Shouldn't deter from the effort NCC Gave comING back and the intestinal fortitude the Birds showed down the stretch.

This might be a down year for the baby Breds, but I'm told the 7th & 8th grade feeders have help on the way.

You are correct, they play hard and they have a solid coaching staff.

What's the guard play looking like there at Highlands? I heard King and Cramer struggled tonight at NCC . I heard Leigh Posey and Hegge came in and got it done for the Birds

It was a tough night for all of the starters. The bench came in and played great. They had the chance to put em away jn the 1st half but took their foot off the gas.

Tristan Thompson is the player to watch at Highlands. 4 starters are all Johnson kids I coached and they are very skilled. Thompson has been a late bloomer and was ridiculously cut his 6th grade year but is really starting to assert himself. They lack size and tenacity on tge boards. That has t o improve and they need a 6'3 or 6'4 kid to move in.