Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who are the top 5 coaches in college basketball?

Featured Replies

1. K

2. Cal

3. Izzo

4. Few

5. Self

Like somebody eluded to, there is a lot that goes into this. Recruiting, in game coaching, pre game coaching, motivation, x's and o's, being a spokesman for your program, etc. So with all that said, it adds a lot of variables to the equation.

 

Looking at all things considered you have to throw out names like K, Cal, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Ole Roy, etc. Based on coaching alone you can throw out names such as Bo Ryan, John Beilein, Tony Bennett, and Gregg Marshall.

 

I agree with some that Self is highly overrated, but he's had success with the Illini and at Kansas and is always a force on the recruiting scene so he has to be mentioned.

 

 

So again, lots of different ways you can go about it, but if I am going with my top 5 it would look like.....

 

1.) Izzo (does more with less and his teams are consistently good)

2.) K

3.) Cal

4.) Pitino

 

Next tier

 

Bo Ryan

Gregg Marshall

John Beilein

Jamie Dixon

Sean Miller

 

K is like 136-1 against Izzo.

 

 

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

K is like 136-1 against Izzo.

 

 

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

 

Its a toss up for me, you can obviously say Coach K. I just feel all things considered that Tom Izzo is the best "coach". When you look at legacy, winning, recruiting, etc. you would say K hands down. But when I think about the best coaches I give actual coaching ability a lot of weight and when it comes to that I lean toward Izzo. He's made a lot of Final Fours with some teams that probably had no business being there. Give Izzo some of the talent Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas has had and it would be scary. The thing with him is he can recruit guys who fit his system and make them play as a "team". I just have a lot of respect for him for how hes able to get the most out of some of these teams and do more with less so to speak. Just a great "coach".

 

Based on the same criteria thats why I list guys like Ryan, Marshall and Beilein ahead of Self. If I were looking at everything my list would be more like K, Cal, Izzo, Pitino, Self.

Also I can't recall many early exits from Sparty in the tournament under Izzo's watch. I mean they have been a virtual lock for Elite 8 or better for the last 15 years it seems. No matter what kind of team he has you can always expect them to be in the hunt so I definitely have a lot of respect for the consistency.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.