Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 2 Highlands 1 (PK's)

Featured Replies

  • Author
Very often a team that has "their worst outing of the year" is because of the opponent they play. Is that true in this one? Did CCH look bad because Highlands made them look bad?

 

As OTB says, at least 10 corner kicks for CCH and probably more as well as multiple point-blank, simple scores that should have been converted for goals but were not and that has been an issue the last 6 weeks or so. Lacking basic skills this late in the season like getting on top of head balls and driving them low into the goal, or simply shooting the ball away from the keeper instead of directly at him are problems that seemingly are never addressed. With that said, the entire team really had a poor game last night and was very sloppy in my opinion.

 

In the end, this team will go as far as the forwards/midfield can take them via putting the ball in the net. While they didn't have their best game, the defense gave up a single (questionable) goal and that should have been enough to win without PK's.

I would say nerves at first, but then finishing......I didn't count, but I would say that CCH had 10 corners is a low number.

 

Corners were 18-2 in favor of CCH.

Scoop I got from a coach was that results were based on three aspects. CCH playing tight most of the game. Defer to CCH faithful to explain that one. Poor finishing on a couple open net opportunities although some being discussed weren't as much about lack of quality finishing than quality defending such as staying on post during corner kicks. On a side note I heard CCH had substantial number of corners in the game. Lastly, what has not been discussed is the HHS formation. I was told they played basically with 6 backs. They had a flat 4 but kept 2 holding mids right in front of them allowing 1 to move forward but rarely ever had less than 5 if not 6 behind the ball at all times. Some of the best chances and CCH's lone regulation goal was off a counter and long through ball and quick cross. This was the same issue HHS had with NCC in district finals which I did see.

I'd say a combination. It took everything HHS had, plus a little luck, plus poor finishing on the part of CCH for the game to get to PKs.

 

IMO, CCH looked very tight. Highlands was very defensive and aggressive. They never let the game open up. I believe that they only played the ball out of the back once, everything was a punt. CCH I'd say, conservatively, had 70% of the possession. They had a ton of opportunities, but it looked like they were trying to make every shot perfect and mis-hit a ton. HHS goalie made a great reaction save on a header in the 1st half, and about 7 more quality saves in the 2nd. HHS had two "extended" periods of possession. Once in the first half and they got 2 shot, one on goal, and trapped CovCath in their half until they committed a foul on a scramble. In the second, it resulted in a goal. Outside of that it was a 60 yd game towards HHS goal. It looked, to me any way, that the Colonels were thinking about the finish too much.

  • Author
Scoop I got from a coach was that results were based on three aspects. CCH playing tight most of the game. Defer to CCH faithful to explain that one. Poor finishing on a couple open net opportunities although some being discussed weren't as much about lack of quality finishing than quality defending such as staying on post during corner kicks. On a side note I heard CCH had substantial number of corners in the game. Lastly, what has not been discussed is the HHS formation. I was told they played basically with 6 backs. They had a flat 4 but kept 2 holding mids right in front of them allowing 1 to move forward but rarely ever had less than 5 if not 6 behind the ball at all times. Some of the best chances and CCH's lone regulation goal was off a counter and long through ball and quick cross. This was the same issue HHS had with NCC in district finals which I did see.

 

I'd agree CCH was very tight most of the game and yes, Highlands was in a defensive posture most of the game but that should not have been a surprise. HHS did clear a number of balls off the line that were headed into the goal. I haven't seen the full stats but shots on goal has to be pretty lopsided and way too many of those were of poor quality.

 

The fact that CCH has not given Bryce Day an extended look up top is just hard to understand. He's a natural midfielder but the team needs him up top in my opinion.

The fact that CCH has not given Bryce Day an extended look up top is just hard to understand. He's a natural midfielder but the team needs him up top in my opinion.

 

Question, he never really attacked centrally yesterday. Has that been his game all year? In the 1st half, once the ball got into the advanced third, he was drifting over to the left wing. Were they trying to overload? They sure overloaded their right wing in the 2nd half, with Day making a couple of nice runs to the end line.

  • Author
Question, he never really attacked centrally yesterday. Has that been his game all year? In the 1st half, once the ball got into the advanced third, he was drifting over to the left wing. Were they trying to overload? They sure overloaded their right wing in the 2nd half, with Day making a couple of nice runs to the end line.

 

I wish I knew the answer to why the most gifted offensive player on the team spends so much time either on the wing or hanging back in a defensive position but I can't tell you. He does make some nice runs and plays some good balls into the box but if that is reversed and you get Day the ball in the 18 with one or even two players to beat, more often than not it will result in a score. Either he will put it in the net or he'll combine to make it happen. Right now, he's merely the messenger delivering the ball and he needs to be the recipient.

Highlands defense shut down Cov Caths offense hate to say it but the colonels have no chance of making a deep run in the state tournament this year.

I wish I knew the answer to why the most gifted offensive player on the team spends so much time either on the wing or hanging back in a defensive position but I can't tell you. He does make some nice runs and plays some good balls into the box but if that is reversed and you get Day the ball in the 18 with one or even two players to beat, more often than not it will result in a score. Either he will put it in the net or he'll combine to make it happen. Right now, he's merely the messenger delivering the ball and he needs to be the recipient.

 

CCH could use an OPOY-type player to combine up top with Litzler. It would be great to have a tandem who'd been playing together since u-littles. Oh wait...

Was thinking the same...would be nice to give some credit to the other team...they are likely partially to blame for CCHs "worst outing of the year".

the colonels have no chance of making a deep run in the state tournament this year.

 

Whew, good to know, this saves me a lot of time.

Gish. Highlands goalie played lights out in the 2nd half and OT. CovCath looked very dangerous until it came to finishing. Heading would be on the menu at practice I will assume. I say that but they would have had one go in if not for a good clearness on a corner. HHS was able to clear a second sure goal later in the half. Tough to play so defensively for 90 minutes, but they almost pulled it off.

 

HHS goalie did play lights out. Ended with around 24 saves off of countless CCH shots

Highlands defense shut down Cov Caths offense hate to say it but the colonels have no chance of making a deep run in the state tournament this year.

 

This is the most ludicrous statement that I have seen in a while. Cov Cath has just about every aspect of the game covered. One thing they do miss is a TRUE scorer. Day does a great job of running the offense, and Litzler is an above average striker, but compared to strikers that they have had in the past, such as Talkers, he's not up to snuff. Again, I am really knit picking here. I feel they are poised to make a deep run. Is it guaranteed? No. But they survived a potentially needed close call. When your GK has to make 24 saves, you did not shut an offense down.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.