Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

North Laurel awarded minor & little league fastpitch state tourneys

Featured Replies

North Laurel's little league softball board has been selected to host the 2006 fastpitch state tourneys for the 9-10 yr old minor league, 11 yr old & 11-12 yr old Little League state tourneys. I am not sure if they were awarded the Junior League tourney or not but hope to find out this week. Normally all tourneys are held at the same site. I don't have dates on this, but will post them when I have them.

 

Last season, North Laurel won the fastpitch Minor League (9-10) & Junior League (13-14) state titles. South Laurel was the little league (11-12) runners up (I believe Valley Sports was the LL champs in 2005). I believe that the District 4 tournament was also awarded to North Laurel. Last year it was in Pulaski County and the State Tourney's were held in Lagrange.

 

If anyone needs hotel information, I will be glad to get something together on local hotels during the week of these state tournaments.

 

This should make Jim Schue and Les happy as they won't have to travel very far to cover these tourneys this year!

  • Replies 32
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

I know that you logged some miles and cell phone minutes covering the teams from your area last year. This will have to save you some time & mileage this year!

 

I knew that North and South were both up for this, and I am just glad that one of them got it!

 

I still don't know about the Junior League tournament, but they may have gotten it as well. Normally, aren't they all at the same city?

  • Author

Confirmed today. North Laurel was selected as the host for the girls state tournaments for:

 

9-10 yr old Minor League

11 yr old Little League

11-12 yr old Little League

13-14 yr old Junior League

 

The tourney is sometime in July. I will post dates when I have them. They also will host their district tourneys for all 4 age brackets as well.

  • Author

It looks like the state tourney will start on Friday July 14th at the North Laurel Little League Complex. The district tourneys are underway and these are the tourneys that will be going on:

 

9-10 yr old Minor League

11 yr old Little League

11-12 yr old Little League

13-14 yr old Junior League

15-16 yr old Senior League

 

So far, the district 4 tourneys look like the favorites to win those districts are probably all the North and South Laurel teams. Both areas seem to have very strong teams in the various age groups and the only wild card may be Pulaski County in the 11 year old group. Word is they are very strong and could break the Laurel County stranglehold on district 4 this year. However, the 11 yr olds and Jr league don't begin district play until this friday.

 

I have seen a great deal of improvement in the Tri-Cities (Corbin), Clay County, Middlesboro and Knox County teams this season and they are making great strides in putting very competitive teams on the field.

It looks like the state tourney will start on Friday July 14th at the North Laurel Little League Complex. The district tourneys are underway and these are the tourneys that will be going on:

 

9-10 yr old Minor League

11 yr old Little League

11-12 yr old Little League

13-14 yr old Junior League

15-16 yr old Senior League

 

So far, the district 4 tourneys look like the favorites to win those districts are probably all the North and South Laurel teams. Both areas seem to have very strong teams in the various age groups and the only wild card may be Pulaski County in the 11 year old group. Word is they are very strong and could break the Laurel County stranglehold on district 4 this year. However, the 11 yr olds and Jr league don't begin district play until this friday.

 

I have seen a great deal of improvement in the Tri-Cities (Corbin), Clay County, Middlesboro and Knox County teams this season and they are making great strides in putting very competitive teams on the field.

I heard that Clay 9-10's knocked North off the other night, but lost to South the next day. The youth program seems to be getting better at Clay County. I know the boys teams were not extremely good this year, but there were more players out. Used to in the 11-12 boys baseball division we were lucky to have 3 teams of 10 players. I think they had 4 or 5 teams of like 13 players this year.

  • Author
I heard that Clay 9-10's knocked North off the other night, but lost to South the next day. The youth program seems to be getting better at Clay County. I know the boys teams were not extremely good this year, but there were more players out. Used to in the 11-12 boys baseball division we were lucky to have 3 teams of 10 players. I think they had 4 or 5 teams of like 13 players this year.

 

You heard correctly. The game against NL was so late and such an emotional game, that I think the Clay girls could not maintain that same level of play and emotion the next day against a very good SL team who will probably win district 4 this season who has solid enough pitching to make a good run in the state this season! Clay beat North 9-8 then lost to South 19-1 the next day. The wheels fell off early for those Clay girls against South, but they have improved greatly over the past few years. They were knocked out of the tourney yesterday, but I cannot remember who handed them their second loss. When they beat North, they were so pumped up that I knew they would either play great against SL or have a rough outing. With kids that age, you never know how they will react to a big win or loss. The parents showed GREAT support for those kids and they had a very good showing in the district tourney.

 

North is still in the tourney after beating Tri-Cities on Sunday evening, but with 1 loss already in the books to Clay, they cannot afford another loss. I am not sure who they play next.

You heard correctly. The game against NL was so late and such an emotional game, that I think the Clay girls could not maintain that same level of play and emotion the next day against a very good SL team who will probably win district 4 this season who has solid enough pitching to make a good run in the state this season! Clay beat North 9-8 then lost to South 19-1 the next day. The wheels fell off early for those Clay girls against South, but they have improved greatly over the past few years. They were knocked out of the tourney yesterday, but I cannot remember who handed them their second loss. When they beat North, they were so pumped up that I knew they would either play great against SL or have a rough outing. With kids that age, you never know how they will react to a big win or loss. The parents showed GREAT support for those kids and they had a very good showing in the district tourney.

 

North is still in the tourney after beating Tri-Cities on Sunday evening, but with 1 loss already in the books to Clay, they cannot afford another loss. I am not sure who they play next.

I didn't get to go watch any of the all star teams go play, but I've been around the ball park a lot the last week, and I've been real impressed with how the parents have supported them. The only thing I was not impressed with about them were those silly orange jerseys. LoL. I didn't get why a Clay County team would have orange jersey's, but it really doesn't matter what the jerseys look like, those girls went out and knocked off a state powerhouse in girls softball. Whoever is coaching the high school softball team on down the road will have some good teams if the girls will work. Just watching league play it's amazing how far the girls softball program has come along. I think this is only the 4th year they've had it over here.

  • Author
I didn't get to go watch any of the all star teams go play, but I've been around the ball park a lot the last week, and I've been real impressed with how the parents have supported them. The only thing I was not impressed with about them were those silly orange jerseys. LoL. I didn't get why a Clay County team would have orange jersey's, but it really doesn't matter what the jerseys look like, those girls went out and knocked off a state powerhouse in girls softball. Whoever is coaching the high school softball team on down the road will have some good teams if the girls will work. Just watching league play it's amazing how far the girls softball program has come along. I think this is only the 4th year they've had it over here.

 

At least the Yellow & Black of Clay Co is closer than the Blue/Green of NL and the NLLL workers at the tourney have all been in Orange jerseys as well! I don't know what the Clay or NL people were thinking! It looked like even more Clay Co supporters when you saw all the workers who were at the game that night. It looked too much like a UT support group for me! ;)

 

That game is even more impressive as North has reeled off 2 straight wins since that loss to Clay, including a 17-1 win tonight over Hazard/Perry Co's 9-10 yr old team. But SL is loaded this year with 4-5 solid pitchers and that is hard to beat in fastpitch softball. I was told by some parents that there are 5 girls on the NL team who were on last year's minor league (9-10 yr old) state championship team who won every district game last year by the mercy rule, but most of the pitching and run production from that 2005 team have moved up and is playing on the NL 11 yr old team and I think 1 on the 12 yr old team. I have really been impressed with Clay's improvement over the past few years. The same for Knox County, Hazard/Perry, Pineville/Bell Co and Middlesboro. I am just tickled to see that many girls playing the game and enjoying themselves! Those girls from Clay should be proud. They had a GREAT showing in the district 4 tourney. :thumb:

Man, I'm glad the state tournies start on the 14th...vacation time for me:)

  • Author
Man, I'm glad the state tournies start on the 14th...vacation time for me:)

 

Are you not going at all? Haven't seen you at the district tourneys, but I think I saw Dennis B. there last night.

Since I have been working in journalism the past 15 years, I was quick to realize that you needed to schedule your vacation time around all-stars time.

Too much traveling, especially when you have to go to lagrange like the past couple of years.

I scheduled a couple weeks of vacation in July and just got back off my first one today and go back the 14th and won't be back until the 25th.

I'm heading up North way tommorrow and probably the rest of the time until the 14th.

  • Author
Since I have been working in journalism the past 15 years, I was quick to realize that you needed to schedule your vacation time around all-stars time.

Too much traveling, especially when you have to go to lagrange like the past couple of years.

I scheduled a couple weeks of vacation in July and just got back off my first one today and go back the 14th and won't be back until the 25th.

I'm heading up North way tommorrow and probably the rest of the time until the 14th.

 

Have a good time! And what about the state now being in London this year! It should save the journalists covering it a TON of time and mileage, that's for sure!

I believe it's awesome North got the state tournies. North ahs one of the best complexes around and I would love for the state tourney in fastpitch softball to come there someday. I have inside scoop on softball job, too.

  • Author
I believe it's awesome North got the state tournies. North ahs one of the best complexes around and I would love for the state tourney in fastpitch softball to come there someday. I have inside scoop on softball job, too.

 

That would be great to see the KHSAA state tourney there. They are planning some major renovations for this off season and from what John Allen told me yesterday, it will be even nicer. They already did some minor upgrades, probably after winning 2 state titles last year (jr & minor league) that were needed. They now have 5 fields on site (not counting the tee-ball field) which I believe most of which could be used for HS tourney play.

 

PM me if you have some 'scoop' on the softball job! I know you have reliable inside sources. ;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.