Horseback riding

doomer

Do you have any leads with chain at the end? If so, cross tie them like this. Run the chain end through the ring on one side of halter, and over the nose and snap lead to other side. Then do another lead the same way. When they pull, the chains put pressure across their nose. If the snaps are too big to go through the rings, sometimes you can run the rope or strap across and through. Many times it will stop them from breaking their halter.

I don't, but I will look into this. I did tie them to the fence for an hour, and they did seem pretty calm. However, I tried a pad instead of a blanket on my normally calmer horse on Sunday. She seemed ok when I did a little bending with her in the pasture, so I just hopped on there instead of working her in the round pen first. Bad decision...she took off across the pasture running and trying to get me off, which she eventually accomplished. The result is a few bruises to my body and my pride. She could have stepped on me, but she was actually careful to avoid me. I took her in the round pen and lunged her a bit, then Mrs. doomer got on her while I held the lead rope, and we walked circles and 8's for a while. The horse was pretty good during this work, so I left it at that. I need to get some horse help.

Loading up in the morning and heading to Knoxville for a horse trial. First 3 day event of the year. We had to scratch two weeks ago as "Snoopy" cut his leg in the pasture and we didn't want to take a chance with him. My daughter did some practice yesterday by herding some alpacas. :lol2: It was pretty amusing to watch. A cowboy she is not.

Loading up in the morning and heading to Knoxville for a horse trial. First 3 day event of the year. We had to scratch two weeks ago as "Snoopy" cut his leg in the pasture and we didn't want to take a chance with him. My daughter did some practice yesterday by herding some alpacas. :lol2: It was pretty amusing to watch. A cowboy she is not.

How did it go?

How did it go?

We had a great weekend until Sunday when we were leaving. She had a clean jumping round and cross country went great. It was her birthday Sunday also so we celebrated at the stables. But when we left Knoxville at 3 on Sunday, we sat in traffic and it took us 3.5 hours to get from Knoxville to the Kentucky border. It was miserable as the sun was hitting driver side which was killing me and I know Snoopy was not happy.