Covington Holy Cross Grad Mekenzie Elbert to Teach in Uganda

lawildcat

Shout out to this amazing young lady who resides in Alexandria and graduated from Holy Cross H.S. in 2010. Mekenzie comes from a great family who I am sure are overwhelmed with pride and joy! Please say a prayer for safe travels while abroad!

NKU grad to teach science in Ugandan village

Mekenzie Elbert invited by the Sisters of Notre Dame to teach through December at African school

ERLANGER – It is perhaps a stroke of luck, or a blessing.

An opportunity of a lifetime has come up for Mekenzie Elbert to teach science classes this fall at Notre Dame Academy Senior Secondary School in Buseesa, Uganda.

A spring Northern Kentucky University graduate, Mekenzie was invited to teach at the Sisters of Notre Dame mission in east Africa while Sister Mary Judith Averbeck, who currently teaches secondary science, returns home to Kentucky for a visit. Sister Mary has lived there for 12 years.

Mekenzie, who grew up in Alexandria and attends St. Mary’s Church, has previously studied abroad in South Africa. She is excited about this “next adventure that God has called me to.” Her trip to Africa is Aug. 31.

After three months of teaching biology and chemistry in Buseesa, Mekenzie will be joined by a volunteer group from Northern Kentucky who will come to the mission for 10 days in December. When her semester’s work is done, she’ll join them to install outdoor lights, screens and fencing throughout the schools and dormitories, paint railings, repair a water tank platform, patch and paint ceilings and install six new doorways in the school’s concrete walls.

The volunteers include Bob Simon, of Alexandria, who oversaw the maintenance trip in 2014; his son Doug Simon; Donnie Young, of Alexandria; Beau McElfresh, of Covington; Jodee McElfresh, of Covington; and Sister Mary Rita Geoppinger. After the work is done, Mekenzie will return home with the volunteers.

Mekenzie is most looking forward to “getting to know the community and the culture and learning from the kids.”

How you can help

The Sisters of Notre Dame ask for prayers as these “partners in mission” make preparations for their trips. For more information or to make a contribution toward their work at the mission, call Sister Mary Margaret Droege, director of the Uganda Mission Office, at 859-392-8109. You may donate online at http://bit.ly/SNDMission.

Great family and prayers for Mekenzie, I know she will do awesome. Bob Simon has maybe done more singlehandedly for the Diocese of Covington than anyone I know. Extensive work at Srs. Notre Dame in past and if you were able to count the number of bricks this man has placed at St. Mary it would be too many to mention.

Please consider donating to this charity...I have no doubt they will be doing great works

• 2 weeks later...