More Running Tips Please ! Training for a 5K and Beyond...

Science Friction

Wow, that's really interesting. Thank you. I will try to incorporate tempo into some of my longer runs. If I understand correctly, the benefit comes from getting your body accustomed to running at different speeds. I have heard of runners speaking about fartleks. Besides being a bit of a funny sounding word, is that another type of interval training?

I think you're doing great. I have conceded that I am well past my zenith. Even with at least some level of motivation, I have a knee that won't tolerate too much. I am happy if I manage a 10 min. mile pace these days without hurting something. I will live vicariously through your running exploits.

I think you're doing great. I have conceded that I am well past my zenith. Even with at least some level of motivation, I have a knee that won't tolerate too much. I am happy if I manage a 10 min. mile pace these days without hurting something. I will live vicariously through your running exploits.

Thank you. I have a little knee pain at times. Hope it doesn't worsen. I will admit that I don't stretch like I should. That may come back to haunt me sometime. Would doing some cross-training, maybe some cycling, swimming , or light weight work help to improve one's running?

Thank you. I have a little knee pain at times. Hope it doesn't worsen. I will admit that I don't stretch like I should. That may come back to haunt me sometime. Would doing some cross-training, maybe some cycling, swimming , or light weight work help to improve one's running?

Building up the muscles supporting the knee is a good thing. For most people step ups (not big steps, but high reps) is good, short-arc leg extensions (straight down to about 30 degrees only) and leg curls seem to help my knee. Also with ankle weights or bands standing leg side lifts help stability. I never do these enough.

Otherwise, keeping weight down makes a big difference. Carry a 5-pound bottle of water on a jog one day and you'll realize the difference.

Of course it does. Anything to enhance strength and flexibility is crucial to running success. Folks become most deficient with core, IT band, and hip flexor strength. If these are not solid, you will begin to ache other places. Remember, persistent knee pains, tendonitis, etc. are normally symptoms of another issue, not the issue itself.