Radical (Wednesday night study) making people squirm

Anyone else familiar with this study by David Platt? Basically tells all Christians if you haven't given up everything for God (possessions, family, money, etc.) then we haven't done what we are commanded to do. In turn, since almost none of us have gone to the lengths that he points out, then the Bible tells us we aren't with Christ and aren't doing what he has commanded. Gotta tell you, it's more than a little head scratching and uncomfortable and I'm not sure what to make of it, as is the same with most if not all in the class.

This is the difference between making Christ Savior of your life versus making Him Lord of your life. We should understand already what salvation means. However, there is always hesitation regarding the latter. Since my salvation decision, I have been taught that everything I have comes from God (the things you mention). On this earth, I temporarily have all of that so I can serve Him and glorify Him. I don't necessarily view it as "giving up for God". That assumes that there is a separation of those items from God's plan for us...not true, it's all related. I view the intent of that teaching is to encourage us to make God Lord of 100% of our lives. For if He is not Lord of all, He is not Lord at all. A contemporary way to look at is this - if Jesus Christ is our co-pilot, we are sitting in the wrong seat!