"Hot Reads": Center 'Gunning' for his chance for Devils

LRCW

FLATWOODS Russell senior Nate Gunning earned a major achievement in his high school career this year. Now he’s working on another.

This summer, Gunning spent five weeks at Morehead State University as a Kentucky Governor’s Scholar.

Similar programs were conducted at Bellarmine and Murray State, but Gunning said he requested MSU so that he could get back sooner for football practice. He’s competing for the center position after previously seeing little varsity playing time.

The 5-foot-11, 308-pounder and fellow senior Luke Erwin are vying for the starting job. Both linemen are also throwers on Russell’s track team.

“We’re pretty good friends,” Gunning said. “Whichever one of us gets the spot, the other will be happy with it. We both worked hard at team camp.”

Russell head coach T.J. Maynard conducted one-on-one meetings with his players at the end of last season.

“I sit down and talk to them,” Maynard said. “It’s a time for them to give me feedback. I think it helps for me to get a better idea of where kids are, then I kind of let them know where they stand.”

"Hot Reads": Center 'Gunning' for his chance for Devils - The Independent Online: Sports