You want to be the 297th ranked player in the world

ggclfan

For the second straight week, the player ranked 297th in the world has won on the PGA tour. James Hahn won last week and Padraig Harrington just won today in a playoff. I need some mathematician here on BGP to give me the odds of two guys ranked that low (with exact same ranking) winning consecutive weeks.

If this keeps up, PGA tour ratings are going to be awful. The tour needs Tiger in a big way right now...or at least Rory making a cut or Phil contending...heck, an Adam Scott sighting would even help.

Are there any US bred players who at some point will garner the public's interest as Tiger, Phil did? Or, is there a shortage because it is all about the money, and a win is nice, but a player can make a nice living just making the cut each week? I fully understand how good these guys are just to make the tour, but does the casual fan. I am pretty sure my wife, for example, could name about two players...Tiger and Phil.

Are there any US bred players who at some point will garner the public's interest as Tiger, Phil did? Or, is there a shortage because it is all about the money, and a win is nice, but a player can make a nice living just making the cut each week? I fully understand how good these guys are just to make the tour, but does the casual fan. I am pretty sure my wife, for example, could name about two players...Tiger and Phil.

If Tiger is really done (as a great player), the PGA tour could be in for some really rough years. Before Tiger joined the tour, I believe a player winning a PGA event won around $200,000. Now that player wins over $1MM. This is pretty much because of Tiger. And Phil does not move the needle near as much as Tiger anyway. Rory helps if he is in the hunt but he is not American and Americans are not going to turn on the TV to watch Rory. Fox Sports just paid a bunch of money to televise the tour for 10 years or so. If Tiger goes away and ratings start dropping, it may turn out to be the exact wrong time for them to jump into the PGA tour game.

I don't see any young Americans that can move the needle one tenth of what Tiger did. Love him or hate him he is truly a one in a lifetime player and personality.

If Tiger is really done (as a great player), the PGA tour could be in for some really rough years. Before Tiger joined the tour, I believe a player winning a PGA event won around $200,000. Now that player wins over $1MM. This is pretty much because of Tiger. And Phil does not move the needle near as much as Tiger anyway. Rory helps if he is in the hunt but he is not American and Americans are not going to turn on the TV to watch Rory. Fox Sports just paid a bunch of money to televise the tour for 10 years or so. If Tiger goes away and ratings start dropping, it may turn out to be the exact wrong time for them to jump into the PGA tour game.

I don't see any young Americans that can move the needle one tenth of what Tiger did. Love him or hate him he is truly a one in a lifetime player and personality.

I agree. Tiger really changed the face of the game, and not just from white. He was the guy that started having golfers perceived as more than a bunch of fat guys (even though they all weren't) and gave to the fans the look of an athlete. This inspired other golfers to become more fit IMO. Also, he could be so dominant people would tune it just to see if he could be beaten.