Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 51 Dixie Heights 42

Featured Replies

I didn't say anything that wasent nice. I attend a lot of games every week I don't have a interest in just one county or one school. I have AAU relationships with girls in both Boone and Kenton fans aren't any nicer in Boone I played and grew up in Boone trust me on this one.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt see the game so i can't speak on it. What i can say is that looking back on a lot of games, people will always question coaches decisions as to why they did not do this or that. This is why I enjoy watching over coaching. I feel like I am the best coach of any team sitting on the sidelines. What I will never do is tell Rick Patino that he should have put a man on the ball when Grant Hill was throwing that pass to that ONE GUY to make that shot. I feel like I could have done a better job setting up that defenseive strategy, but that is me coaching from my couch. :idunno:

Haha Basketball55. I agree that it seems Dixie fans have far more criticism than the other schools. Even a 10-15 Notre Dame team 2 years removed from a State Championship appearance has less knocking on their program. With all this incredible basketball knowledge in the stands I expect resumes to be flooding in by the truckload next time there's an opening for a head coaching position. ;)

A lot of fans feel like they can coach a team better than the coaches, but the coaches know the players better than the fans since they practice with them everyday. If they are not playing the way that you would like them to play, then maybe they are not physically able to do the things that the fans want them to do. I am a fan of Kenton County basketball. I have kids who will be coming up in the Kenton County district, however I might pull them to the Boone County District where the fans are a lot nicer. :ylsuper:

 

This is what a lot of people don't understand. Coaches push their players everyday in practice and know what they are capable and not capable of. You may have kids that you see drive and do things against kids their own age. Or they do it a lot, but half the time they are out of control. So someone says "see, I told you they can do it!" But ignore the 4 other times that resulted in TO's and scores on the other end as a result. The Dixie coach knows what she's doing. She played at a very high level and was coached by one of the best in High School. She knows what she can expect out of her players and she is going to give them the best chance to win. For Dixie to hold HHS to a lower scoring game and keep it that close was pretty impressive to me. Not many teams have been able to do that and they should be commended for their effort and strategy.

 

I know its frustrating to watch and feel they could be doing more. But sometimes it's about just limiting mistakes that could let it certain games get out of hand. The game plan they had kept them in the game and very close to a top ten team in the state. Thats pretty good if you ask me.

No one said she didn't know what she was doing and just because someone has opinion does not mean we think we can do it better. I've been in business a long time I always take suggestions from people on how I could improve I don't always agree but I've never taken that as they thought they could do it better. I think some of you are to sensitive. Parents always blame coaches , coaches blame lack of execution from players , everyone blames the refs just the way it has always been..

I wouldn't say we are sensitive. I would say more logical. I understand your opinion and we are all entitled to one. I just think the blaming game is too extensive now. The game is so hard and quick that refs can't see everything, coaches can not predict the outcome, and players can only do what they feel comfortable doing. The blame should only be on the determination of that player to learn and work on their game. Some players are more talented than others. Some teams are more talented. At what level does equal playing time stop? A coach has to adjust their coaching to the talent of the teams.

I blamed know one in my opinion the coach & the players share wins and loses equal. I am very familiar with what a few of Dixie players can and can not do right now either under direction of the coach or of their own free will they are not doing the things they can do or need to do. Even the Dixie girls that don't play for me during the summer we either play against or watch play during the summer. Something is missing from this team right now not sure what but something is to much talent to be getting beat like they have been. I am aware of the pedigree of the coach great player and I feel a good coach. Sometimes that happens things just don't click but if you watched Dixie play early this year and now something is different. Either way that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it..

I blamed know one in my opinion the coach & the players share wins and loses equal. I am very familiar with what a few of Dixie players can and can not do right now either under direction of the coach or of their own free will they are not doing the things they can do or need to do. Even the Dixie girls that don't play for me during the summer we either play against or watch play during the summer. Something is missing from this team right now not sure what but something is to much talent to be getting beat like they have been. I am aware of the pedigree of the coach great player and I feel a good coach. Sometimes that happens things just don't click but if you watched Dixie play early this year and now something is different. Either way that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it..

 

One last point and I'll be done. You mentioned what they are doing now vs. how they were doing earlier in the season. Keep in mind there is a lot of tape out there on all these teams. Coaches spend a lot of time figuring out strengths and weaknesses of their opponents. You don't have a lot of that at the beginning of the season because there isn't a lot of data. By this time of the year...there is. You now see Holmes, HC and HHS in much closer games than you did in the first half of the season. That's becauses templates of how to slow those teams down have been established. What's successful and what's not. Can this girl go left? Can this girl shoot? This team tears up a mtm, but struggle against zones. All that is being "felt out" early in the season. Now teams know what to try and take away and what they may have a chance at doing to win. In AAU or summer, you have little time to scout your opponent. So that doesn't play a huge factor. In HS it does.

One last point and I'll be done. You mentioned what they are doing now vs. how they were doing earlier in the season. Keep in mind there is a lot of tape out there on all these teams. Coaches spend a lot of time figuring out strengths and weaknesses of their opponents. You don't have a lot of that at the beginning of the season because there isn't a lot of data. By this time of the year...there is. You now see Holmes, HC and HHS in much closer games than you did in the first half of the season. That's becauses templates of how to slow those teams down have been established. What's successful and what's not. Can this girl go left? Can this girl shoot? This team tears up a mtm, but struggle against zones. All that is being "felt out" early in the season. Now teams know what to try and take away and what they may have a chance at doing to win. In AAU or summer, you have little time to scout your opponent. So that doesn't play a huge factor. In HS it does.

 

I agree, but as I can tell from your post you also have been around the sport for a while. I use this all the time when comparing AAU and High school ball. Although we think this is a big area we all live in a small town every coach knows or should know who the key players are in NKY and what the teams consist of as far as strength and weakness. I do agree the scouting gets much better towards the end of the season but I have another theory I think the coaches and the teams in some fashion almost give up. It's a long season with only 1 prize at the end and once they THINK they can't get the prize they are just kinda along for the ride. As for AAU or summer ball the prize is weekly and if you don't get this one you have a chance to win another prize next time.. I'm using prize as a metaphor of course a plastic trophy is not the only prize. Another issue is they all know how good Holmes Highlands HC are and it's ok to get beat by them is their mentality. When we roll in to Indy or somewhere in Tenn to play we know no one seems to relax the girls a little and they play better. Your points very well taken I appreciate your point of view.. I think Dixie could get lined out and be a factor in the region but they need to get refocused now tonight and move forward. Just holding a good/great team under there average is not good enough. Again I'm not blaming anyone I blame everyone these girls can play I've seen it I PROMISE I have LOL..

HHS has a very good team and will contend for the 9th region title but they will have to earn. In my opinion seeing all the teams play I think they are the 3rd best team but that doesn't mean they can't win it. They play hard and discipline and that's what its going to take to beat the 2 top teams.

 

How long is Leigh out, i hate that she isn't playing great girl and great parents.

HHS has a very good team and will contend for the 9th region title but they will have to earn. In my opinion seeing all the teams play I think they are the 3rd best team but that doesn't mean they can't win it. They play hard and discipline and that's what its going to take to beat the 2 top teams.

 

How long is Leigh out, i hate that she isn't playing great girl and great parents.

 

It's all day to day. Think she has an appt today.

I agree, but as I can tell from your post you also have been around the sport for a while. I use this all the time when comparing AAU and High school ball. Although we think this is a big area we all live in a small town every coach knows or should know who the key players are in NKY and what the teams consist of as far as strength and weakness. I do agree the scouting gets much better towards the end of the season but I have another theory I think the coaches and the teams in some fashion almost give up. It's a long season with only 1 prize at the end and once they THINK they can't get the prize they are just kinda along for the ride. As for AAU or summer ball the prize is weekly and if you don't get this one you have a chance to win another prize next time.. I'm using prize as a metaphor of course a plastic trophy is not the only prize. Another issue is they all know how good Holmes Highlands HC are and it's ok to get beat by them is their mentality. When we roll in to Indy or somewhere in Tenn to play we know no one seems to relax the girls a little and they play better. Your points very well taken I appreciate your point of view.. I think Dixie could get lined out and be a factor in the region but they need to get refocused now tonight and move forward. Just holding a good/great team under there average is not good enough. Again I'm not blaming anyone I blame everyone these girls can play I've seen it I PROMISE I have LOL..

 

Blame the AAU coaches too.:banana:

If they don't get the best out of the player then yes blame them.. One might contribute the early success some of these teams experienced was because they still played like they did during the summer.. Just saying..

Lebron James and Kobe Bryant said AAU is a joke. Just saying.

Edited by bugatti

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.