Highlands 64 Campbell County 51

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM

Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

The Highlands Ladybirds basketball team has done a great job attacking the basket all season.

If they don’t make the shot, the Ladybirds have often drawn fouls and made their free throws. The difference at the free-throw line helped Ladybirds beat the host Campbell County Lady Camels, 64-51 Friday and stay undefeated at 6-0 on the season.

Highlands committed 16 fouls to 15 for Campbell County (5-3) led by first-year Head Coach and Highlands alum Beau Menefee. But the Ladybirds made 21-of-24 free-throw tries for 88 percent compared to 6-of-12 for 50 percent for the hosts.

Highlands displayed its usual balance in the win. Junior Brianna Adler made all six free throws and 3-of-5 three-point tries on her way to a team-high 19 points. Teammate Zoie Barth hit all five attempts on her way to 11 points and Haley Coffey made 8-of-10 on her way to 10 points. The top six Highlands players scored at least five points.

Highlands shot better from the field making 20-of-38 attempts for 53 percent including 3-of-8 three-point tries for 38 percent. Campbell County made 20-of-44 shots for 46 percent, including 5-of-19 three-point tries for 26 percent. Highlands scored 1.23 points per possession to .82 for Campbell County.

The Ladybirds won the rebounding battle, 28-19. McKenzie Leigh led the way with seven and Lydia Graves had six.

Highlands did not have as many steals as usual. But the Ladybirds did record nine off 17 Lady Camel turnovers. Campbell County had six steals off just 10 Highlands turnovers. Adler led the Ladybirds with four thefts.

Highlands also did a wonderful job distributing the ball recording 11 assists to two for Campbell County. Coffey again led the Ladybirds with four assists.

Campbell County saw three players reach double figures. Taylor Clos led the way with 12 points and Kylie Kramer had 11. Taylor Jolly followed with 10 and Mackenzie Schwarber scored nine.

Highlands moved to 3-0 against county foes and will face another Saturday at 2:30 p.m. The Ladybirds play host to Bellevue (4-2) at 2:30 p.m.

Fort Thomas Matters Sports: Ladybirds pull away from Lady Camels

Okay, late to the party on this one...but here's what I saw.

First, someone better check on Coach Menefee today...after losing what was apparently his Superbowl last night. My goodness, the man was animated. I love passion, but some of the stuff made me not a big fan. Where is Coach Murray when you need him?? Those were the days....

On to the game...HHS played good in spurts tonight. For the most part, they controlled the game. Their defense was good, but the Camels did handle the pressure pretty good. I expected them to handle it well and when you play essentially 7 guards you should! Camels didn't allow a ton of outside looks. They pressured the Birds in half court. It did allow for the Birds to attack the basket and get fouled. So it was kinda pick your poison for the Camels. The Birds are making a statement at the line again this year. They are VERY good free throw shooters. So coaches, just let them shoot layups and you won't have to watch them at the line!!!:banana: Barth continues to get better. I'm really surprised when people talk about young talent, she isn't at the top of the list. She's an 8th grader that is basically a 6th starter on a very good team. Girl can ball! Adler with a big night to help carry the Birds. It was her night, but that's the thing with this team...most times they are very balanced in scoring. But someone can always step up and carry them when they need to. And it's rarely the same girl back to back. They play well together and share the ball...often recognizing who has the hot hand that particular night. They are fun to watch.

Camels are good! Very scrappy! Gray does a great job leading this young group. She settled them down at times and had some big drives that essentially kept them in the game when it was looking like it might get out of hand. Kylie Kramer (first game back) is as smooth as they come. She plays bigger than she is because of her length. (just ask my daughter that she swatted!). Kylie is always under control and you can mark it down once she gets in the paint. Taylor Jolly is fun to watch. Speed, athleticism and shooting. (but she shoots with the wrong hand!). She also hit some big 3's in this game. Ball looks pretty coming off her hand. Clos and Schwarber are going to be good ones for the Camels. Schwarber is the "blue collar" worker that does everything a good team needs. She oozes with athleticism. Clos (says she didn't play well last night) but I'm not buying it! She hit a couple of really long 3's in crucial times...again to keep the Camels within striking distance. The Birds knew who the shooters were and they had their eye on Clos constantly! Britney Fornash is also a fun one to watch. Plays with so much passion and energy on the defensive end. I love it!

The Birds led after the first qtr by a small margin. By half they had bumped that up to 9 at 34-25. They came out on fire in the 3rd and pushed the lead to as high as 21 (i think)...ending the third qtr at 51-32. This was a crucial time for the Camels. It really looked like the Birds were going to run away with it. But the Camels did not throw in the towel. They hit some big 3's during the run. Might have been 3 in a row, can't remember. But all of a sudden they were back within 10 with about 3 min to go. Big shots from all the ladies. I was impressed. Camels got after it on defense and HHS went a little cold. However, the Birds were able to regain composure and pull off the victory. Camels just couldn't get over the hump (like that one??), and get the lead down to single digits.

Love the Camels team (as you can tell). Good luck to them and WAY TO GO BIRDS!

I really like how both of these teams just get after it. Highlands was lights out from the charity stripe and opened the 2nd half on about a 7-0 run which to me was the difference in the game. I thought highlands mixed up their defensive looks very well. Highlands is a very well rounded team, they can shoot very well, they kept us off the offensive glass and they play very good defense and did I mention they can shoot free throws. Good luck to the lady birds the rest of the way, I look for them to make some noise in the 9th. Very proud of my Young Lady Camels. They fought hard the whole way and never gave in. This game was a great measuring stick for us. No doubt we will learn from this game and get better from it. Always nice to catch up with RCC9 and talk about our glory days. :thumb: but I'm kind of worried that RCC9 has turned Cannibal on coach Menefee, a former HHS guy. Didn't think Bluebirds ate their young.

Brianna Adler, wow I am getting old...I remember when her mom was pregnant with her!

and...?

I can't believe she is just a JR...My daughter played with all three of the Adler sisters over a 6 yr period at Highlands. All of the girls are outstanding athletes

Who do these girls get their talent from anyhow? It has to be mom because of her knowledge of the game:thumb: