Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th region Basketball fans

Featured Replies

Was very surprised that Vories got a "T" as he is a really stand up young man. I was at a restaurant last night after the game when one of the CovCath Coaches came in with his family, and I asked the Coach what Vories said to get the "T" (I only assumed that is why he got the "T"). He said thats what the Highlands Coach (Willie) was asking also, but he didn't hear the reply....

 

 

Not to stay off of the subject but thought I would just reiterate as someone who has know Jeff all his life.. he is about as reserved as you can get. Not much emotion is ever shown from him so when he got frustrated the other night in the 4th period of his last game as a Bluebird...well you can understand. But back to the officials... I really liked the way they let the game play and didnt get whistle happy like the 9th region officials typically are.

I thought the 5th region officials did a fine job. They were completely independent of all the personalities of the coaches and players and called the games very well.

 

This is coming from a 9th region official. An example is Duran Jefferson should have gotten a technical in the district finals late in the game for getting in the face of the most respected official in the ninth region, but didn't.

 

Also, Coach Listerman was a completely different person on the sidelines durng the regional. I respect coach Listerman a ton, but he also knows that the 9th region officials are reluctant to give coaches T's due to ratings. Coach L didn't have that privelege during regional because he didn't know how the 5th region officials would respond. Great job by Coach L for knowing when to not push the issue.

Overall, fabulous job by the 5th region officials. Also, this switching of officials is a great idea and I hope they continue to do this. Only bad thing is the travel, especially during the week. They need to cap the distance that officials have to travel. Driving 2-3 hours to work a game is a little much.

Great post! I couldn't have said it better, especially the first paragraph.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are comparing the 6-10 best referees that the 5th region has to offer to all of the 9th region officials.

 

I think that the 5th region officials have done a good job in the games that I have seen. I think the games are called a little differently but have been consistent. Agree with a couple of posters about missing some walks and haven't seen one palming called when there could have been a few.

 

I would think that the 10 top rated officials from the 9th region are very comparable to what the 5th region has sent here. I do like the idea of swapping officials for the regional tournaments. It takes away all predisposed notions about the players, coaches and officials.

I thought the 5th region officials did a fine job. They were completely independent of all the personalities of the coaches and players and called the games very well.

 

This is coming from a 9th region official. An example is Duran Jefferson should have gotten a technical in the district finals late in the game for getting in the face of the most respected official in the ninth region, but didn't.

 

Also, Coach Listerman was a completely different person on the sidelines durng the regional. I respect coach Listerman a ton, but he also knows that the 9th region officials are reluctant to give coaches T's due to ratings. Coach L didn't have that privelege during regional because he didn't know how the 5th region officials would respond. Great job by Coach L for knowing when to not push the issue.

 

Overall, fabulous job by the 5th region officials. Also, this switching of officials is a great idea and I hope they continue to do this. Only bad thing is the travel, especially during the week. They need to cap the distance that officials have to travel. Driving 2-3 hours to work a game is a little much.

 

Overall, I thought the 5th region officials did pretty well. My only real concern was in the Dixie - Newport Central Catholic game where they gave a whole new meaning to "let them play" in the second half a couple of times. It was as if they were keeping score of violations in their head and if they were even they just called nothing. "Let them play" is kind of like the word "choice" in the abortion debate or of the word "tolerance" with respect to people with excessively diverse and aberrant behavior. It is hard to argue against "let them play", "choice" or "tolerance". But, I am not for abortion and do not care of tolerance of all people with gross agendas and do not like "letting them play" in lieu of calling fouls when they occur, walks when they occur and carrying when it occurs as according to the rules. So, "let them play" is a popular monikor, hard to argue against because it sounds so good, but it is really hiding the fact that the officials are not calling the game as stated in the rules. Whether violations are called or not, the entire 32 minutes of the game will be allowed to be played. Fouls not called especially hurt smaller and less physical teams. And yes, if 1.33 fouls occur per second, then 1.33 fouls should be called per second. The frequency of fouls should not indicate that the referee should put his whistle away because there are too many and "let them play". It becomes, "let them maul" in some instances.

And D J should also have gotten a T in the first round of the district when during a dead ball he physically and angrily reacted with an opposing player and nothing was called. I guess if you have the reputation of being like that then you either get picked on or it becomes too passe to call. It was more than what Voories did when he was T'd up.

Someone from the 5th region on BGP indicated that the shorter the referee from the 5th region, the worse they were. I did not find that to be true. They were, overall, pretty good.

I think they did a great job during all the games I saw.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.