Re-rating the NKY Teams

Crosley

I was wondering if it was time to re-rate the NKY teams. This would include SK, but not necessarily the Oldham's. I was wondering what everyone thought. Here's my first attempt:

- NDA

- Ryle / St. Henry

- Scott / Cooper

- Boone County / Beechwood / Campbell County / New Cath

- Highlands / SK / Conner / Bishop Brossart

When I list them side by side, I think either one of those teams could beat each other on any given night.

Thoughts?

A mid season poll is much like the score at halftime of a football game. Means very little. That said I am sure my opinions might upset a few people but then they are just opinions.

1-Ryle

2-NDA

3-St. Henry

4-Scott

5-Cooper

Now my reasoning: You could speculate all day long about the number of times Scott/Cooper play each other but in the end this only happens once per year and this year Scott came from behind to win. St. Henry is a team I have not seen play....ever. So I will trust everyone's judgement that they are a solid 3rd. Having seen both Ryle and NDA play first hand and within a couple of days of each other I feel in spite of Ryle's record I feel a semi-healthy/healthy Ryle is the stronger team. I felt their hitters had more "fire" on the spike and were able to hit hard from more positions and more angles.

All of this of course will mean nothing as I believe all these either face each other or at least face the most challenging part of their schedules. Either way it has made for one of the more interesting years of NKY volleyball in a long time.

What I really love about this year is that there really isn't a "powerhouse" team that stands way above the rest like last year

It's nice to see other teams on lists that may not have been there in the past - like Scott!

Gonna be an interesting finish to the year! Tons of matchups over the next couple of weeks that I am so excited to see.

I agree that mid-year polls are worthless, but not near as worthless as pre-season polls. At least now these teams have a track record we can look at to derive some ratings.

I reworked my list a little bit after checking Riherds. I moved Boone County down because of volleymom's comments and because they have been on a little bit of a skid recently. Also, I just have a hard time putting anyone in front of NDA until someone in NKY beats them. And yes, Scott has been very impressive. To those outside of Scott, that might be the biggest surprise of the year.

- NDA

- Ryle / St. Henry

- Scott / Cooper

- Beechwood / Campbell County / New Cath

- Boone County / Highlands / SK / Conner / Bishop Brossart

I think it only goes to show that the 9th is a toss up this year. We still haven't seen NDA vs. Ryle, though. If NDA wins decisively, it will be clear that the pandas are the team to beat.

Agreed. And what happens if Ryle takes it? Wow could that make some waves!!!

Like I have said before. No matter who comes out on top this has been a great year to be a volleyball fan!!!

I love the fact outside of NDA, no NKY team is untouchable!! Any team can be beaten on any given night & that makes for a very exciting 9th Region tournament!! I think 33rd District may be a good one to watch. Most will pick Cooper & Ryle to move forward to Region but Boone could shake things up on a good night. Boone beat Cooper earlier in the season so that could be a battle to watch!! Conner has talent but outside the libero & setter, they lack strong hitting & serving so I don't look for them to make it past 2nd game of Districts. Of course, anything is possible. Everyone loves an upset & Cinderella story so we'll see what happens!!

I love the fact outside of NDA, no NKY team is untouchable!! Any team can be beaten on any given night & that makes for a very exciting 9th Region tournament!! I think 33rd District may be a good one to watch. Most will pick Cooper & Ryle to move forward to Region but Boone could shake things up on a good night. Boone beat Cooper earlier in the season so that could be a battle to watch!! Conner has talent but outside the libero & setter, they lack strong hitting & serving so I don't look for them to make it past 2nd game of Districts. Of course, anything is possible. Everyone loves an upset & Cinderella story so we'll see what happens!!

So far ND hasn't lost to a NKY team, don't see how anyone can't rank them #1, but they haven't played them all yet. I think you can copy and re-print last year's Region 9 teams to this year. Don't see Conner or Boone making it.

#1 NCC #2 Highlands

#1 Ryle #2 Cooper

#1 St. Henry #2 Dixie

#1 ND #2 Beechwood

My NKY Top Teams:

- NDA

- St. Henry/Cooper/Ryle/Scott

- Beechwood

- NCC

I believe that any teams in the second tier could beat each other. Not sure about Scott/St. Henry match up, though.

Ryle, St. Henry, and ND are the 3 NKY teams to beat - they are the most 'complete' teams in NKY. Scott and Cooper should be ranked below those 3. If they played each other, St. Henry would have no problem with Scott, but I do think Scott wins the 10th this year.