Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 1 Summit Country Day (OH) 1

Featured Replies

Colonels had trouble denting the net on this one (big surprise). Summit scores late in the game off of a corner, headed into the goal. More terrible marking by CCH allowed for a free header. They continue to stay with the man marking system that has not worked all year. Some late personnel moves by CCH allowed them to get more pressure/control up top after the Summit score. CCH equalizes on a long throw in/header by Parker Kenney in the last minute. Day and Kenney played about half the game. Ballow/Schuh/Nurre did not play at all.

Colonels had trouble denting the net on this one (big surprise). Summit scores late in the game off of a corner, headed into the goal. More terrible marking by CCH allowed for a free header. They continue to stay with the man marking system that has not worked all year. Some late personnel moves by CCH allowed them to get more pressure/control up top after the Summit score. CCH equalizes on a long throw in/header by Parker Kenney in the last minute. Day and Kenney played about half the game. Ballow/Schuh/Nurre did not play at all.

 

On several occasions when Cov Cath were all healthy they still had trouble scoring, and still allowed goals in when they played against strong teams. So missing five of their better players can't be used as an excuse.

Edited by hoops5
quote tags

I hear ya WatThe, but you could see the difference in the quality of attacks when day and Kenney joined the attack.

With that said........this was a quality tie.......I would rate Summit higher than St X this year.

 

All who played, played very well.

I hear ya WatThe, but you could see the difference in the quality of attacks when day and Kenney joined the attack.

 

I would have to say that CCH had more chances in the portion of the match that I saw, they were just not able to convert. The throw in, that Kenney headed home, was one of a few nice ones that I saw made by that player today. On that field, I would opt for his throw ins over a corner quick.

With that said........this was a quality tie.......I would rate Summit higher than St X this year.

 

All who played, played very well.

 

I will be curious to see how well Summit does these next few years, I think there were several times today that half of their field players were Freshman, I also think that their Goalie and a couple other regular field players are Sophomores.

From what i saw of the JV game......Not much help coming up.........wonder if the were very young?

I asked about that when we got there yesterday, was told that most of their younger talent is strictly playing Varsity. JV pool is very shallow right now.

You could tell......without getting into the past however........isn't everyone back except for the 3 players not at school anymore? JV is way more than 3 players from being healthy......

On several occasions when Cov Cath were all healthy they still had trouble scoring, and still allowed goals in when they played against strong teams. So missing five of their better players can't be used as an excuse.

 

That's a ridiculous statement. Take the top 4 players off from the front six of any team in N Ky and tell me they wouldn't have a hard time scoring against the same schedule. The health issues really started with the Highlands game. They lost Schuh to a concussion in the first half, and Day was not expected to play but did and was not at full strength. Prior to the highlands game they were averaging 3 goals a game with their only shutout at Trinity. I guess they could have lined up some teams where they could have put up 10, but not sure that would have made them better. That said, you are correct... they are having trouble scoring in spots all year. In shut outs against Ryle and Trinity they had a couple chances in each game where it was probably harder not to score than score. Some players not getting it done need to step up. Conner will be the first game since the first half of Highlands where all starters are expected back.

Edited by Offsides

  • Author
On several occasions when Cov Cath were all healthy they still had trouble scoring, and still allowed goals in when they played against strong teams. So missing five of their better players can't be used as an excuse.

 

Not sure I said it was an excuse but yes, taking 4 of the best players off of any team will lead to issues scoring I would think. I also think a one goal loss (St. X) and a tie (Summit) vs two of the better teams in Cincy shows they have some good depth on the bench.

 

Defensively what is hurting them, and has all year. is the inability to defend well on set pieces like corners. CCH gives up way too many corners when players needlessly play the ball out the endline instead of the sideline. Then they defend very poorly on the corners. I'd say 3/4 of all scores against them this year have been corners/long throws/free kicks.

You could tell......without getting into the past however........isn't everyone back except for the 3 players not at school anymore? JV is way more than 3 players from being healthy......

 

I was told that everyone is back, I also found out that one of the three that is gone will be back very soon, as in reinstated.

 

I agree that the JV is very short on quality right now, this is not helped by so many of the underclassmen playing only Varsity.

That's a ridiculous statement. Take the top 4 players off from the front six of any team in N Ky and tell me they wouldn't have a hard time scoring against the same schedule. The health issues really started with the Highlands game. They lost Schuh to a concussion in the first half, and Day was not expected to play but did and was not at full strength. Prior to the highlands game they were averaging 3 goals a game with their only shutout at Trinity. I guess they could have lined up some teams where they could have put up 10, but not sure that would have made them better. That said, you are correct... they are having trouble scoring in spots all year. In shut outs against Ryle and Trinity they had a couple chances in each game where it was probably harder not to score than score. Some players not getting it done need to step up. Conner will be the first game since the first half of Highlands where all starters are expected back.

Sounds like I touched a nerve...

Sounds like I touched a nerve...

 

What?

From what I saw, Summit outplayed CCH and had 70-80% of the possession. It definitely looked like a Senior team against a Freshman team, CCH was bigger and more physical and that helped them a lot in the game. Technically Summit was better. Overall a fun game to watch. Summit coach sub'd second string players with about 5 mins left in game. That is how/why CCH got their last second goal.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.