Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Anyone Know...

Featured Replies

...why some regular-season matches are three sets and others two? Just curious.

I always thought if one team won the 1st 2 sets, there was no reason to play the 3rd set as the series was decided at that point.

  • Author
I always thought if one team won the 1st 2 sets, there was no reason to play the 3rd set as the series was decided at that point.

 

I thought so too, but I see lots of 3-setters with the winning team taking all three.

I thought so too, but I see lots of 3-setters with the winning team taking all three.

 

A few years ago the KHSAA decided to get with the rest of the country and allow matches that are the best 3/5 but they left this up to the participating schools.

 

So if the two schools agree, the matches will either be best 2/3 or best 3/5. I know at NDA, for example, they play the Ohio schools and Louisville schools, as well as locally, St. Henry and Ryle in the 3/5 format. However, when playing district matches (Holmes, Beechwood, Holy Cross, Cov Latin) they will play 2/3.

 

Some conferences matches for NDA are 2/3 and some are 3/5, I think it depends on what the coaches decide when scheduling.

 

So either way 2/3 or 3/5 is approved by the KHSAA as a complete match.

  • Author

^ Thanks for the clarification.

I asked the same thing. Was kinda confusing to me as well but apparently there is a rule or by law about it in the KHSAA rule book. Some one quoted it for me in a thread I started a week or so ago.

A few years ago the KHSAA decided to get with the rest of the country and allow matches that are the best 3/5 but they left this up to the participating schools.

 

So if the two schools agree, the matches will either be best 2/3 or best 3/5. I know at NDA, for example, they play the Ohio schools and Louisville schools, as well as locally, St. Henry and Ryle in the 3/5 format. However, when playing district matches (Holmes, Beechwood, Holy Cross, Cov Latin) they will play 2/3.

 

Some conferences matches for NDA are 2/3 and some are 3/5, I think it depends on what the coaches decide when scheduling.

 

So either way 2/3 or 3/5 is approved by the KHSAA as a complete match.

 

I thought all district games had to be 3/5 and any non district game could be either or.

I thought all district games had to be 3/5 and any non district game could be either or.

 

I don't know of the 'official' KHSAA bylaw that was referenced above, I only know what I have seen happen over the last few years. NDA just played Beechwood and Holmes, both district opponents, and both matches were best 2/3. Right now it appears that NDA will play Holy Cross (also district) best of 3/5. The other district team is Covington Latin and NDA doesn't play them at all. It appears the district matches are up to the coaches to decide format. Or maybe the AD's decide this?

 

I know that once the teams get to the District Tournament, Regional Tournament and State Tournament it is mandatory that all matches are best 3/5.

KHSAA rules mandate that all regular season, district, regional, and state games be a best 3 of 5 format. By advance mutual agreement, a regular season match only may be best 2 of 3--usually done because of time constraints when teams might be traveling a fair distance on school nights. If they don't both agree, it's 3 of 5. Been that way since 2012 season. The Louisville Catholic schools have played best 3 of 5 for years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.