NCAA Coaching Carousel 2014 Edition

UKMustangFan

Like I said.....this one will get interesting. Wellman HAS to have a home run to save his own job.

Is Wake really a program that can attract that type of hire?

Off the top of my head, I could see them trying to get Shaka, Marshall, or McDermott, but would any of them leave the situations they're in for the 3rd or 4th fiddle school down there?

Is Wake really a program that can attract that type of hire?

Off the top of my head, I could see them trying to get Shaka, Marshall, or McDermott, but would any of them leave the situations they're in for the 3rd or 4th fiddle school down there?

Wellman can and will over-pay for a coach. Has to.

I think the program is a little better than you're giving it credit for. Just because you're 3rd or 4th in a hoops hotbed, doesn't change your national profile. Don't forget both Skip and Dino had them ranked #1 in the country. Also nice to have CP3 and Tim Duncan to help you do your bidding.

He may not get the moon and stars, but he'll damn sure shoot for it. Has to.

Wellman can and will over-pay for a coach. Has to.

I think the program is a little better than you're giving it credit for. Just because you're 3rd or 4th in a hoops hotbed, doesn't change your national profile. Don't forget both Skip and Dino had them ranked #1 in the country. Also nice to have CP3 and Tim Duncan to help you do your bidding.

He may not get the moon and stars, but he'll damn sure shoot for it. Has to.

I'm sure he'll try, I'm just wondering he can pull it off.

The guys I think of when I think of homerun hire type HC's are:

Rick Pitino

Coach K

Roy Williams

Bill Self

Sean Miller

John Calipari

Billy Donovan

Thad Matta

Jim Boeheim

Bruce Pearl

Would they realistically be able to get any of those guys? Clearly no. That's why I went with the likes of Smart, Marshall, or McDermott.

I guess a guy like Cronin or Buzz Williams, or Ben Howland could fit the bill, but :idunno:

I'm sure he'll try, I'm just wondering he can pull it off.

The guys I think of when I think of homerun hire type HC's are:

Rick Pitino

Coach K

Roy Williams

Bill Self

Sean Miller

John Calipari

Billy Donovan

Thad Matta

Jim Boeheim

Bruce Pearl

Would they realistically be able to get any of those guys? Clearly no. That's why I went with the likes of Smart, Marshall, or McDermott.

I guess a guy like Cronin or Buzz Williams, or Ben Howland could fit the bill, but :idunno:

Okay, first of all, how did Bruce Pearl make THAT list? What?!

He'll never get those guys, but he has to nail this hire. Marshall and McDermott will be reached out to, although both may want to wait it out. Chris Mack will be begged to come home. Archie Miller, whom I think stinks, may be a 3rd tier option if he strikes out everywhere else. (Although Archie to Wake and Pat Kelsey to UD would be interesting) This hire is HUGE for him.

Buzz Williams isn't leaving Marquette for any job but Texas, not sure why people keep tossing him out there. He has a GREAT job.

Okay, first of all, how did Bruce Pearl make THAT list? What?!

He'll never get those guys, but he has to nail this hire. Marshall and McDermott will be reached out to, although both may want to wait it out. Chris Mack will be begged to come home. Archie Miller, whom I think stinks, may be a 3rd tier option if he strikes out everywhere else. (Although Archie to Wake and Pat Kelsey to UD would be interesting) This hire is HUGE for him.

Buzz Williams isn't leaving Marquette for any job but Texas, not sure why people keep tossing him out there. He has a GREAT job.

I really like Bruce Pearl, so I consider any school that hires him to be hitting it out of the park. :lol2:

I wouldn't consider Mack anything other than an average hire. JMO.

The back of his baseball card justifies that opinion, if we're being honest, but he is beloved in Winston-Salem and Wellman would win back some favor. I'm not sure he can get Chris, but he is going to take a swing at him.

He'd be a better hire than Bzdelik was, that's for sure.

Side note: I love following the firing/hiring process for college sports, specifically basketball. Always interesting to see how it all shakes out each year.