George Rogers Clark 45 Marshall County 37 (KHSAA Sweet 16 Quarter-Finals)

[h=1]Girls Sweet Sixteen: GRC rolls into state tourney semis with 45-37 win over Marshall County[/h]

BOWLING GREEN — The George Rogers Clark High School girls basketball team is one game away from playing for a state championship.

The Lady Cardinals (27-7) advanced to the state semifinals for the first time since 1991 with an 45-37 win over Marshall County Friday night. Clark extended its winning streak to seven games, while the Lady Marshals' season came to a close at 31-6. Marshall County had won its 12 previous games prior to the season-ending setback.

Clark coach Robbie Graham pumped his fists toward the Clark contingent in excitement following the victory. Although his team wasn't talked about before the tournament, Graham's Lady Cards are the talk of the town.

Sandra Skinner led the Lady Cards with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including 11 on the defensive end. Skinner, named the National Guard Player of the Game, said the Lady Cards' defense made the difference.

“We just focused on rebounding and defense throughout the game,” she said.

Teammate Sydney Anderson followed Skinner with 11 points. Anderson scored nine points in the fourth quarter and made four clutch free throws down the stretch.

“She responded really well in the fourth quarter,” Graham said.

Clark made four of its first seven shots and led 13-6 at the end of the first quarter.

Anderson scored just two points in the first three quarters but hit back-to-back shots including a 3-pointer to give Clark a 37-30 advantage with 5:41remaining.

Clark 13 09 10 13 — 45

Marshall Co. 06 12 10 09 — 37

CLARK (27-7) — Anderson 11, Skinner 15, Hamlin 5, Taylor 3, Graham 9, Williams 2.

MARSHALL CO. (31-6) — York 2, Manley 12, Barnard 9, Greer 5, Fehrenbacher 4, Langhi 5.

http://www.centralkynews.com/winchestersun/sports/high_school/grc/grc_girls_at_sweet_sixteen/girls-sweet-sixteen-grc-rolls-into-state-tourney-semis-with/article_583d0666-abe0-11e3-9494-001a4bcf6878.html

So very proud of coach Graham and the team!!!! Of the 16 teams how was GRC ranked?

GRC was ranked 12th out of the 16 teams. Both Corbin and Marshall were higher.

Elizabethtown is ranked at #1. Having seen Elizabethtown play three times, and the way they disposed Anderson County; they are dominant. There is a tough game waiting for the Lady Cards tonight.

I choose to believe in Miracles today! Go CARDS!

^^^ Sandra Skinner now has one National Guard Plaque to hang on her wall, and one to clean bluegills on.* ;)

:lol2:

GRC was ranked 12th out of the 16 teams. Both Corbin and Marshall were higher.

Elizabethtown is ranked at #1. Having seen Elizabethtown play three times, and the way they disposed Anderson County; they are dominant. There is a tough game waiting for the Lady Cards tonight.

I choose to believe in Miracles today! Go CARDS!

Thanks for the rankings. Didn't think GRC was ranked that high,but of course you and I knew what our girls were capable of. :thumb:

It will be a tall task for our girls today, but I knew them and the coaching staff will give it all we have. We have to really cut down on the turn overs and play our team ball and I think we have a chance. I too believe in Miracles today...GO CARDS!!!!!