Regional Tennis

16th Region

Ashland Boys will be the favorite again with Russell second. Russell did acquire a fairly good exchange(possible Regional Semi-finalist) to improve their depth(top 4 or 5 players will formidible at their position) but with the favorites for the singles crown (Freeman) and Doubles(Malloys) you have to say that its theTomcat's edge.

Russell girls will be a clear cut favorite with Ashland most likely a distant second. Russell girls could be a year or two away from being perennial state champ contenders.

16th Region classic example of "haves" and "have-nots". Majority of teams beyond top 2 or 3 have a legitimate chance for regional championship.

13th Region

Corbin's boys will be the hands down favorite to repeat as 13th region champs.

On the girls side it is hard to say. Middlesboro will be a threat to repeat as well. Clay County has a young team that should be a force in the region over the next couple years. Corbin should be pretty tough as always also.

10th region returns defending singles champion Richard Canelas of Highlands who could turn into a top 10 player in the state.

Highlands lost their #2 Player Marty Arnzen the region runner-up, their #1 Doubles team who were semifinalists and half of their number 2 doubles team.

Montgomery Co. returns Ashton Thornberry-a singles runner-up, and Jake Vollmer, and has a couple promising 6th graders. who could be competitive in the relatively weak region.

They lost their regional champion doubles team as well as 2 Brazilian foreign exchange students.

Bourbon returns regional singles semifinalist Joby Glass, and his younger brother Jett who was part of the regional doubles finalists. They also return Clinton Colliver who has developed into a solid player who, if he can figure out how to be a better competitor.

Top players

Canelas

Jo. Glass

Thornberry

Simon Brazinski (Harrison Co.)

As far as teams: My guess is it will be Highlands and Bourbon battling it out, with Harrison a wild card, followed by Montgomery.

This looks like another weak year in the 10th region. (Possibly weaker than usual)

I've seen Joby Glass play - and one thing that isnt weak is his serve. Its one of the harder ones in the state I'd say.

What about Bath County? Is Big Mike Adams still in Owensville?

Joby can kill the ball. He also has a pretty big forehand as well. His problem is his lack of consistency. He last I saw he hadn't found the balance of hitting out on the ball while being able to keep it in play for a number of shots.

Bath Co. isn't in the 10th region, but yes, Mike should be a senior this year. Their other top player Grant Davis graduated this past year.

Joby can kill the ball. He also has a pretty big forehand as well. His problem is his lack of consistency. He last I saw he hadn't found the balance of hitting out on the ball while being able to keep it in play for a number of shots.

Bath Co. isn't in the 10th region, but yes, Mike should be a senior this year. Their other top player Grant Davis graduated this past year.

Does Montgomery play Estill again this year?

Does Montgomery play Estill again this year?

I don't know, but I really doubt it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the 14th must be incredibly weak. I know last year we were regional runners-up in a weak region, and we beat Estill pretty handily.

I don't know, but I really doubt it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the 14th must be incredibly weak. I know last year we were regional runners-up in a weak region, and we beat Estill pretty handily.

It is a really weak region. Estill played each other in the finals of both singles and doubles. Estill did pick up one win @ Montgomery last year when Junior Jeremiah Spivey defeated their 3 seed.

I do remember that match.

A very entertaining one it was.

Regardless,

Montgomery had and in all likelyhood will return a very solid team this year. Conyers is one of the better coaches in Central Kentucky and Thornberry and a few of the other young guys can really play when they are on their game.

Good look over in Mt. Sterling. :thumb:

Montgomery had and in all likelyhood will return a very solid team this year. Conyers is one of the better coaches in Central Kentucky and Thornberry and a few of the other young guys can really play when they are on their game.

Good look over in Mt. Sterling. :thumb:

Coach Conyers is exceptional, and I know Ashton Thornberry will be competitive, but this will probably be a rebuilding year for the team.

I'm looking at probably 1 Junior, 4-5 Sophomores, and 2 6th graders.