Johnson Central 84 Magoffin Co. 76

Magoffin definitely came ready to play. They surprised JC with a 3/4 trapping press that caused some turnovers. That's why Central looked a little sluggish in the first half.

Central turned it around in the second half and finished strong in the 4th quarter as Magoffin fell into their trademark "two minute brain dead period". Only this time - to their credit - the Hornets only went brain dead for about a minute. But it was costly!

The key was a two-possession 8-point run by the Eagles. They had fought hard for a 2 point lead. Then Magoffin's point guard made a silly foul on a made basket (2 points). The Eagles rebounded the missed free throw and hit a 3 point shot (5 points). Magoffin answered with a silly play on their offensive end that gave Central the ball back. JC hit another 3 point basket to give them 8 points in two possessions. What was a hard-fought 2-point lead was now a 10 point lead in a matter of less than a minute!

Still, the Hornets fought hard and, with the aid of some quick shots by Central, had a shot to get back into the game.

Several players on both teams had good games. I'd say that might have been Brandon Shepherd's best game of the season. Keep it up Shep!

I was really impressed with something I saw after the game. Wes Helton and Kyle Rice were ejected for fighting in their first matchup this season. And you could see them trash talking each other during this game. It was pretty intense. But both players kept their heads in the game. After the game I saw Helton walk over to the table where Kyle Rice was doing a post-game radio interview. Helton congratulated Rice on a good game and Rice reciprocated the gesture.

Very classy, guys! I wish everyone could have seen that!

The 57th District Tournament is going to be great! 3 very good teams are going to go home. And 2 very good teams will represent their district well in the 15th Region Tournament!

Upperdeack Tyler stepped up when he was needed and did a great job taking the ball to the goal and yes he is a great kid. Napster no one is to blame for this lost because i think all the guy did a great job and they have nothing to hang their head down for they are really doing a great job for Magoffin County. Lets just all be in the stands when it come district time and let them know that we are behind them 100% then we may see them send some one home early. JMO