Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Problem With Coach Associations All-Star Teams

Featured Replies

JMU correctly pointed out that the other thread was not the place to complain so.....

 

We see in the Coaches Association All-Star team that IMO the two best players in NKY didn't even make the team.

 

The rules appear to be that a coach as to nominate his own players and then other coaches get to vote.

 

1. Why as a coach do I need to have another coach tell me what players on his team I can vote for? I know Moran is a dangerous stud player. I don't need the Holy Cross coach to tell me she's "on the list."

 

2. IF these are the asinine rules why wouldn't Holy Cross' coach nominate players?

 

3. You may HATE the way the Smith situation went down and how she ended up at NDA. You're going to tell me that you're not capable of being an adult and voting for one of the top 2 players in NKY? Come on.

 

4. I've always said that anything the coaches vote on is simply a waste of time. Partly because of 1 through 3 and partly because they're so busy they truly can't vote intelligently.

 

 

Any and all coach teams IMO are worthless.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JMU correctly pointed out that the other thread was not the place to complain so.....

 

We see in the Coaches Association All-Star team that IMO the two best players in NKY didn't even make the team.

 

The rules appear to be that a coach as to nominate his own players and then other coaches get to vote.

 

1. Why as a coach do I need to have another coach tell me what players on his team I can vote for? I know Moran is a dangerous stud player. I don't need the Holy Cross coach to tell me she's "on the list."

 

2. IF these are the asinine rules why wouldn't Holy Cross' coach nominate players?

 

3. You may HATE the way the Smith situation went down and how she ended up at NDA. You're going to tell me that you're not capable of being an adult and voting for one of the top 2 players in NKY? Come on.

 

4. I've always said that anything the coaches vote on is simply a waste of time. Partly because of 1 through 3 and partly because they're so busy they truly can't vote intelligently.

 

 

Any and all coach teams IMO are worthless.

 

1st bolded. At all 3 coaches meetings it was spelled out LOUD AND CLEAR, there would be no esxceptions to the deadline. It was sent out also in numerous e-mails, as well as, a final reminder one week before the deadline. The following is from the minutes of the 1st coaches meeting, EVERY COACH WAS PRESENT.

 

Northern KY Softball Coaches Association Awards Banquet

• May 25th at Lloyd 6 p.m.

• Top 5 player list per team is due on or before 4/28 (please include stats with player names)

• NO VOTES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 4/28

• Once the name list is compiled final votes will be due on May 5th

• We will also be giving out the 5 - $500.00 scholarships this night

• You must attend at least 3 meeting for your team to be able to send in votes.

2nd bolded - I can not speak for how other coaches vote and/or the reason how they vote.

 

3rd bolded - I was asked by Head Coach Denny Barnes to do the voting for NewCath, I correctly picked 18 of the 19 players on the 1st and 2nd teams, including POY. BTW, the one I missed I couldn't vote for, 1st Team member Casey Kohls - NewCath. How's that for knowing my :poop: :thumb:

Seems pretty clear what the expectations are

  • Author

Let me clarify #4. IMO coaches have so much to do during a season that they simply do not ALSO have time to go out and watch a lot of teams play. They might face them once, maybe twice, during a season. Therefore, their votes , in many cases, simply aren't coming from a strong knowledge base. Some players are obvious and you don't need to see them a lot. However, some are not and that is where I have an issue with the coaches vote. All votes (coaches, players, media) have flaws. I'm simply stating WHY I think the coaches votes are not the most accurate.

 

LB nailed the votes and I'd trust his votes as much as any. Why? Dude gets out and sees more softball than anyone. Not a lot of coaches CAN nor WANT TO do that.

JMU correctly pointed out that the other thread was not the place to complain so.....

 

We see in the Coaches Association All-Star team that IMO the two best playrs in NKY didn't even make the team.

 

The rules appear to be that a coach as to nominate his own players and then other coaches get to vote.

 

1. Why as a coach do I need to have another coach tell me what players on his team I can vote for? I know Moran is a dangerous stud player. I don't need the Holy Cross coach to tell me she's "on the list."

 

2. IF these are the asinine rules why wouldn't Holy Cross' coach nominate players?

 

3. You may HATE the way the Smith situation went down and how she ended up at NDA. You're going to tell me that you're not capable of being an adult and voting for one of the top 2 players in NKY? Come on.

 

4. I've always said that anything the coaches vote on is simply a waste of time. Partly because of 1 through 3 and partly because they're so busy they truly can't vote intelligently.

 

 

Any and all coach teams IMO are worthless.

 

Not sure there is ever a perfect way to vote, but if this assocation wants keep giving out scholarships IMO they can do it how ever they want bc college tuition is crazy and ever dollor they gave away last night I am sure will help.

 

As far as Holy Cross is concerened I don't know why their coach didn't nominate players bc he just kept pushing the blame on other things when asked by the Ad. It is clear he knew and probably just forgot. I would have more respect for him if he would just say that instead of making excuses. I am almost certain that he didn't do it to hurt any of the girls. He is a very good person and just wouldn't do that. Rules are rules though, this is a guy who I Have seen take young ladies out of games in the middle of innings bc they did not have their belt...nominating players is more important than wearing a belt.

 

I would love to see the votes posted. You can't vote for your own players so there would not be any drama there. If a coach votes so poorly they shouldn't be able to vote the next year. You can argue all day if Haylee Smith is 1st 2nd or 3rd best player in the area maybe even lower than that but not have her in your top 10 means your doing it bc of other reasons or your just plain stupid..either way you don't deserve to vote. For Smith not to be on first team there had to be several coaches either leave her off all together or vote her really low.

  • Author

Again, why do I need a coach to nominate young Miss Moran for me as another coach to vote for her?

Let me clarify #4. IMO coaches have so much to do during a season that they simply do not ALSO have time to go out and watch a lot of teams play. They might face them once, maybe twice, during a season. Therefore, their votes , in many cases, simply aren't coming from a strong knowledge base. Some players are obvious and you don't need to see them a lot. However, some are not and that is where I have an issue with the coaches vote. All votes (coaches, players, media) have flaws. I'm simply stating WHY I think the coaches votes are not the most accurate.

 

LB nailed the votes and I'd trust his votes as much as any. Why? Dude gets out and sees more softball than anyone. Not a lot of coaches CAN nor WANT TO do that.

 

I agree with this 100% The only thing I will add though is they should know who the best players are. I can't get out to everyones game and I am not the coach but I let my daughter and our catcher know every game how to be careful pitching too.

Again, why do I need a coach to nominate young Miss Moran for me as another coach to vote for her?

 

If these awards are strictly just softball related I agree.

 

Bc these awards are for HS softball I think nominations are not bad. If a player is a bad kid or student or teammate or into drugs or anything like that if I am a voting coach I might not know these things and that would have a big impact on my vote. That's kinda just my two cents.

 

I am flattered that maddys name is being thrown out there but grace herrman and anna clements from HC should be mentioned also. I would take Beechwoods center fielder over any out fielder I have seen this year. Maybe #10

  • Author
If these awards are strictly just softball related I agree.

 

Bc these awards are for HS softball I think nominations are not bad. If a player is a bad kid or student or teammate or into drugs or anything like that if I am a voting coach I might not know these things and that would have a big impact on my vote. That's kinda just my two cents.

 

I am flattered that maddys name is being thrown out there but grace herrman and anna clements from HC should be mentioned also. I would take Beechwoods center fielder over any out fielder I have seen this year. Maybe #10

 

I do not know the Clements girl but I fully agree on Grace Herrman.

Is this association a ninth region thing? I don't see anyone from any 10th region or other region? Just curious as I know jack squat about all this..trying to learn:)

I do not know the Clements girl but I fully agree on Grace Herrman.

 

Just to be clear not saying Clements necessarily deserves first or second team just saying her hat should have been thrown into the pool bc with out her HC wouldn't be near as competitive.

Is this association a ninth region thing? I don't see anyone from any 10th region or other region? Just curious as I know jack squat about all this..trying to learn:)

 

No not just the 9th not sure who all else is in but BBHS and Simon Kenton players got awards.

Is this association a ninth region thing? I don't see anyone from any 10th region or other region? Just curious as I know jack squat about all this..trying to learn:)

 

No, all teams from NKY (8th, 9th, & 10th Region) are able to join.

Not sure there is ever a perfect way to vote, but if this assocation wants keep giving out scholarships IMO they can do it how ever they want bc college tuition is crazy and ever dollor they gave away last night I am sure will help.

 

As far as Holy Cross is concerened I don't know why their coach didn't nominate players bc he just kept pushing the blame on other things when asked by the Ad. It is clear he knew and probably just forgot. I would have more respect for him if he would just say that instead of making excuses. I am almost certain that he didn't do it to hurt any of the girls. He is a very good person and just wouldn't do that. Rules are rules though, this is a guy who I Have seen take young ladies out of games in the middle of innings bc they did not have their belt...nominating players is more important than wearing a belt.

 

I would love to see the votes posted. You can't vote for your own players so there would not be any drama there. If a coach votes so poorly they shouldn't be able to vote the next year. You can argue all day if Haylee Smith is 1st 2nd or 3rd best player in the area maybe even lower than that but not have her in your top 10 means your doing it bc of other reasons or your just plain stupid..either way you don't deserve to vote. For Smith not to be on first team there had to be several coaches either leave her off all together or vote her really low.

 

Agree, Lee has done a ton of good things for the Holy Cross program. I'm sure it was something he simply forgot about, it could happen to anybody.

Agree, Lee has done a ton of good things for the Holy Cross program. I'm sure it was something he simply forgot about, it could happen to anybody.

 

You are such a butt kisser!!

 

What happens if you forget to deliver packages? Yes anyone could forget it does make it ok.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.