Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Umpire Rules Question

Featured Replies

Team A fields a grounder to shortstop and throws to first base where batter from Team B is out by a step. First base ump calls him out.

 

Team B's first base coach questions that Team A first baseman's foot was off the bag. Ump turns and walks away.

 

Team B batter returns to his dugout. Team B head coach then comes out and questions call. First base ump, home plate ump and third base ump then get together.

 

After a brief discussion they call batter out of dugout and have him return to first base.

 

Question is this......If Home Plate Ump or Third Base Ump clearly saw that the first baseman was not on the bag......................why did they wait until the Head Coach came out and then they got together to discuss? Do they have any obligation to call the runner safe immediately? What about after the first base coach questioned the call? If the Head Coach had said nothing would the game had continued with the batter being out?

Note that I've never umped a high school baseball game. Let me equate it to basketball.

 

In the play you described the calling official called what he thinks he saw. The coach wisely talked him into asking for help. I'm assuming that like in basketball the helping official doesn't come in and say "you got it wrong." Instead he says "here's what I saw and I'm very confident in what I saw." He then lets the calling official make a determination. Usually the calling official will go with the help of his partner if the partner is convinced that he saw it correctly.

 

As to the question of why wait? You never want officials running up to another official and say "you may have missed that." Too many variables. You only offer your opinion if you're asked. I wouldn't want it any other way.

 

As to this particular play there is no obligation to call him safe immediately.

 

If no one convinced the calling umpire to ask for help the call would stand.

If the batter headed to the dugout, I'm not certain he can be brought back out to the bag. I believe he is considered to have abandoned his effort to run the bases and is therefore out regardless.

If the batter headed to the dugout, I'm not certain he can be brought back out to the bag. I believe he is considered to have abandoned his effort to run the bases and is therefore out regardless.

 

I can't imagine that applies when the umpire told you that you were out.

If the batter headed to the dugout, I'm not certain he can be brought back out to the bag. I believe he is considered to have abandoned his effort to run the bases and is therefore out regardless.

 

Doesn't apply here. He was told he was out.

Where was the umpire that called him out positioned? The reason I ask because if runners were on and the umpire who made the original call at first was positioned more behind the pitcher, then he would have a hard time seeing a pulled foot. If that is the case, the coach from team b would ask the umpire who made the call for an appeal. The umpire would then defer the call to the home plate umpire. However, if the umpire who made the original call is positioned down the first base line, then I can't fathom the reason for an appeal or reversal of the call.

 

Do you know what team b was arguing? (pulled foot, beat the throw,???)

 

Do you know what team b was arguing? (pulled foot, beat the throw,???)

 

It could only be "pulled his foot." No umpire in the world is going to override it based on "beat the throw."

How many umpires worked the game? 2 or 4?

  • Author
How many umpires worked the game? 2 or 4?

 

3 Umpires. Lead-off batter of the inning. First base umpire was positioned at first base. Argument was for foot not being on the bag.

 

And again the first base coach pointed to the bag and said something to the first base umpire and even looked down at the base. Ump just turned away and dismissed him. Player was about back to the third base dugout by this time. He entered and then the Head Coach called out to the third base umpire and he called time. The Head Coach walked towards third base and then the third base ump called the crew together. After a brief discussion one of the umps made a safe sign and called the batter out of the dugout and pointed to first base.

3 Umpires. Lead-off batter of the inning. First base umpire was positioned at first base. Argument was for foot not being on the bag.

 

And again the first base coach pointed to the bag and said something to the first base umpire and even looked down at the base. Ump just turned away and dismissed him. Player was about back to the third base dugout by this time. He entered and then the Head Coach called out to the third base umpire and he called time. The Head Coach walked towards third base and then the third base ump called the crew together. After a brief discussion one of the umps made a safe sign and called the batter out of the dugout and pointed to first base.

 

Sounds like it was handled properly and that they got it right.

  • Author
Sounds like it was handled properly and that they got it right.

 

They might have, but my question is if the other umps clearly saw something that was called incorrectly................why is the first base coach not a "valid" questioner of the call? Why does it take the Head Coach asking to have the umps get together? And if he did not come out in time or just thought well my guy must have been out since the ump is 3 feet away and I'm 120 feet away......I guess the umps just keep it to themselves that one of them blew a call?

They might have, but my question is if the other umps clearly saw something that was called incorrectly................why is the first base coach not a "valid" questioner of the call? Why does it take the Head Coach asking to have the umps get together? And if he did not come out in time or just thought well my guy must have been out since the ump is 3 feet away and I'm 120 feet away......I guess the umps just keep it to themselves that one of them blew a call?

 

Remember that I've never umped a high school game so...

 

If it's like high school basketball you simply don't respond to an assistant coach. You respond to head coaches.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.