Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland/Belfry series

Featured Replies

Back several weeks ago during the week of the Ashland/Belfry game there was an article in the Daily Independent that talked about how great the series had been between the two schools, and how the game benefited both schools each year. Both coaches even mentioned how they wanted to continue the series after the end of the 4 year contract that was expiring this year. I figured it was pretty much a done deal.

 

Ashland-Belfry series benefits both teams » Local Sports » Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

 

 

Now I'm hearing rumors that the two schools won't play each other next year. Ashland will have their star running back Q. Baker returning, along with startng QB Aaron Elam. I don't know exactly what Belfry has returning, but I'm sure they will be just as talented next year.

 

Can anyone from the Ashland or Belfry camps confirm or deny this? I certainly hope it's not true.

Like you I thought the series was in good shape and set to continue.

 

Unfortunately, I found out a few days ago that Ashland backed out of the agreement to play Belfry the next couple of years.

 

I don't know what changed, according to that article Coach Hart was all for continuing the series, but apparently he changed his mind.

 

I would like to know why. This is extremely disappointing as now it leaves Belfry with yet another open date on the schedule. They need 3 games now and are having a really tough time finding an opponent that isn't going to involve a 3 hour drive.

 

On top of that, Ashland is the type of team that prepares them for the playoffs, and with Belfry's district being weaker than it has been in years, they need their non-district opponents to be stronger. I'm sure playing Belfry helps Ashland prepare for their district competition and playoffs also.

 

The whole thing makes no sense to me.

  • Author

I really hate to hear that Watusi. I agree it makes zero sense. I'll ask around and try to find out more. I'll also be interested to see who Ashland picks up to replace Belfry. It better be someone better than Belfry. If its not Highlands or Cov Catholic I'll be even more disappointed.

Ashland looses their entire line most of their receivers, and half their backfield. I'd say they schedule down.

  • Author
Ashland looses their entire line most of their receivers, and half their backfield. I'd say they schedule down.

 

If that's the case, that's weak. How many of your great programs schedule down after losing a good class?

If that's the case, that's weak. How many of your great programs schedule down after losing a good class?

There are arguments for both philosophies, not saying that one would be the best. But, that is what I say happens.

Ashland looses their entire line most of their receivers, and half their backfield. I'd say they schedule down.
Ashland dominates this series, completely. Through ups and downs, graduations, everything that comes with personnel changes down through the years and they have only lost to Belfry twice in my lifetime. I don't understand how they could justify scheduling down.

 

What is going to help them better prepare for their playoffs, a competitive battle with Belfry, win or lose, where they have to play full speed for 4 quarters? Or a game against a lesser opponent where they win comfortably and their starters get to clock out early?

 

I'd take a loss that makes my team better over an easy win every day of the week.

Ashland dominates this series, completely. Through ups and downs, graduations, everything that comes with personnel changes down through the years and they have only lost to Belfry twice in my lifetime. I don't understand how they could justify scheduling down.

 

What is going to help them better prepare for their playoffs, a competitive battle with Belfry, win or lose, where they have to play full speed for 4 quarters? Or a game against a lesser opponent where they win comfortably and their starters get to clock out early?

 

I'd take a loss that makes my team better over an easy win every day of the week.

I agree completely. I think it is a good game for both schools. I don't know the reason for the series ending, only giving one possible reason (be it a good reason, or a bad reason). Maybe one of the coaches had a scheduling conflict with the week that they could play the game that couldn't be worked out.

I really hate to hear that Watusi. I agree it makes zero sense. I'll ask around and try to find out more. I'll also be interested to see who Ashland picks up to replace Belfry. It better be someone better than Belfry. If its not Highlands or Cov Catholic I'll be even more disappointed.

 

Try Sheldon Clark!!!!

Try Sheldon Clark!!!!

So, Ashland replaced Belfry with Sheldon Clark?

  • Author
Try Sheldon Clark!!!!

 

 

Are you guessing, or is that a fact?

  • Author
Ashland dominates this series, completely. Through ups and downs, graduations, everything that comes with personnel changes down through the years and they have only lost to Belfry twice in my lifetime. I don't understand how they could justify scheduling down.

 

What is going to help them better prepare for their playoffs, a competitive battle with Belfry, win or lose, where they have to play full speed for 4 quarters? Or a game against a lesser opponent where they win comfortably and their starters get to clock out early?

 

I'd take a loss that makes my team better over an easy win every day of the week.

 

I agree 100% Watusi. And that is one of the reasons you'll see Belfry advancing far into the playoffs every year, and you'll see Ashland going out in round 1 or round 2.

Are you guessing, or is that a fact?

 

FACT!!!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.