Highlands 2012/2013

mcpapa

Basketball season for 2012/2013 should provide another exciting year! What should we expect from Highlands? Remember, please be constructive.

This team is full of talent and potential. Team will be centered around senior Xavier commit Leah Schafer. She is a 6'1" do evertything player. Literally can play the 1 to the 5. Five other seniors round out that class. They do have an offensive inside threat with Jesse Daley. Nice post player that can score in multiple ways around the basket. Next is a big question mark. Ava Abner is the guard that was hurt 8 games into the Birds season last year. She a an absolute spark plug and it really let the air out of the sails last year when shw went down. This year, the rumors say she is up in the air. She has a soccer scholly and recently tore her meniscus. Definitely a recoverable injury, but may be fearful of getting hurt and losing her scholly. All rumors at this point. As competitive as she is, I cant believe she wouldnt play, but could certainly understand if she didn't. Vanessa Fisse is a very nice 2 guard. She can shoot and finish around the rim. Defends well too. Emily Parton is another senior that will see time at the 2 and the 3. Good shooter and plays hard. Does a lot of the little things to help the team.

After that, they become pretty young. They may only have one junior on the team. However, the sophomore and freshman class is very talented. Sophomores Lydia Graves and Alex Combs both saw a lot of varsity time as Freshman. Whitney Quillion rounds out a talented sophomore class. Freshman Brianna Adler (varsity starter last year as an 8th grader), Haley Coffey (varsity 6th man winner as an 8th grader) and McKenzie Leigh (a 6 foot freshman that saw significant varsity time as an 8th grader) are part of a very strong Freshman class.

This team has the potential to be very good. If Abner plays and the team learns how to play together and learns how to win, it could be a good year for the Birds. The jury is still out though.

Outside of Schafer there are not many scoring options for Highlands. She may have to take a record number of shots.

Not so sure of that. Daley was a game high scorer in many games last year. Fisse also was a consistent scorer for most of the year. She had some game high games as well. She did fall off a little at the end, but was pretty consistent most of the year. And if Abner plays, she is the missing link. She can score, but is very good about getting her teammates easy shots. She can break a defense down very well. The others will take their points when they can. All the young girls are players and got a lot of varsity experience last year. Still some question marks, but with that experience coming last year, they should come in more confident and ready to contribute rather than just filling roles. The potential is there, just need to see the confidence. Three of the younger girls are very good shooters.

Also, this team should score off their defense. If everyone plays and stays healthy, defense should be a strength of this team.

But you're right. They will have to step up.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you are right RCC9. It is time Highlands girls contend for a title again! If Abner is ready will the Birds play 3 guards? They seem to be heavy at that position considering Abner, Adler, Coffey, Partin, Fisse & more. I hope they are tough on D, but like Boothe led the Birds in scoring virtually every game I think that should be Schafers' role! Daley does some good things and will have to be even more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I think this is as good of a team they've had in awhile. Also, hope to see Leigh contribute! I am sure I am missing someone else too, but it'd be nice to see a line up of Abner, Daley, Schafer, Coffey, & Fisse with Adler, Partin, & Leigh off the bench.

I hope you are right RCC9. It is time Highlands girls contend for a title again! If Abner is ready will the Birds play 3 guards? They seem to be heavy at that position considering Abner, Adler, Coffey, Partin, Fisse & more. I hope they are tough on D, but like Boothe led the Birds in scoring virtually every game I think that should be Schafers' role! Daley does some good things and will have to be even more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I think this is as good of a team they've had in awhile. Also, hope to see Leigh contribute! I am sure I am missing someone else too, but it'd be nice to see a line up of Abner, Daley, Schafer, Coffey, & Fisse with Adler, Partin, & Leigh off the bench.

Boy did you forget someone Greg. Lydia Graves will be a very key cog this year for the Ladybirds. Sure hope that Ava Abner decides to play because she was the missing piece of the puzzle last year IMO and would be a major reason why this team is so highly thought of in the preseason.

Boy did you forget someone Greg. Lydia Graves will be a very key cog this year for the Ladybirds. Sure hope that Ava Abner decides to play because she was the missing piece of the puzzle last year IMO and would be a major reason why this team is so highly thought of in the preseason.

If Abner plays, I would definitly think it will be 3 guards and the two bigs. But Leah really plays like a guard too (probably the best guard we have!). I think everyone that was mentioned will see time. But I also know that Alex Combs is another one not mentioned. She played some varsity last year as a Freshman and has worked extremely hard over the summer on her game and specifically shooting. She is a very hard-nosed defender with a great motor. Her offensive skills are good as well. I have no idea what the rotation will look like, but outside of Leah, they won't lose much when they sub and should be able to adapt to different styles of play. They are all AAU players that are used to playing at a very high level. I think they will encourange Leah to score more. She is a superstar and should take over games. However, part of her unselfishness is what makes her so good. She understands the game and feeds the open players. In the past, not all the players were able to utilize her skills and play with her (young player, no depth, etc). Hopefully when she attracks the defenses this year, there will be someone on the receiving end that can catch the pass and convert it! But there is a fine line of learning when to take it yourself (because you're that good) and when to share. It's a nice problem for the coaches to have!! Not guraranteeing any championships, but they should be competitive and fun to watch. Heart and confidence are the only thing that can hold this team back. Abner brings both of those!

So I've heard...my apologies. That's what happens when you name names. I agree that she is an asset to any team!